Should I stop JIRA service before restarting W7 machine?

Everend Thorne February 16, 2012

Should I stop the JIRA (and/or MySQL and/or Confluence) services before restarting the W7 server they are hosted on?

I've also noticed that sometimes JIRA will run an XML backup when the computer restarts but I haven't found any documentation of this behavior so I'm not sure if that backup can be trusted. Can someone point me to the documentation and where/if there is config parameters for this.

thanks

Everend

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2012

Windows Services are usually given a grace period to shut down cleanly when the host system is shutting down - I think it is somewhere around the 20-30 second mark.

If your JIRA server is excessively large or busy, then the shutdown window may not be long enough to close JIRA cleanly (although if this is case, I would ask why you are running your JIRA server on Windows 7 :-)), otherwise there shouldn't be any problems with letting Windows issue the shutdown command to JIRA all by itself.

Edit: looks like you can configure the timeout value anyway: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/146092

0 votes
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2012

If possible I would shut every thing down. It just ensures that everything has been properly flushed to the disk.

Everend Thorne February 16, 2012

See that's what I figured but I haven't found any documentation that says to do this.

0 votes
Ajay Singh _Appfire_ February 16, 2012

I can give some info on the second part of your question.. JIRA automatic export is controlled by jira.autoexport key inside jpm.xml file inside WEB-INF/classes folder. By default it it set to true. To disable the auto backup, set the value to false.

Hope it helps!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events