Sample Project with Jira and Confluence Data

SB July 10, 2021

Hi,

Is there a sample project with data that I can load into my test account for a Scrum project along with some Confluence data?

Essentially, I am looking for a sample project that have all the standard feature such as epics, stories, backlog etc with some items completed, some in progress, some delayed, dashboards, burn down charts etc. Also, related sample data in Confluence to show what a typical scrum project may have in confluence. 

I am hope I am making some sense here. An example I can give is that Microsoft Access comes with some sample databases that highlight what  could be done with the product. 

I understand that every project is different but it would be good to have a sample project data to play around with. 

Thank you. 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2021

Hi @SB , you can certainly create a new project in Jira with some sample data like you've described. Just follow these steps:

1. Go to an existing board (any project, any board)
  2. In the upper-right, click the '...' menu and select Create boardimage.png
  3. On the box that pops up, select the option for Create a Scrum board with sample data
    image.png
  4. Fill out the information on the next screen / wizard to create a new project. You'll likely get onboarding information (a help walkthrough) when the project is created that shows you all the features of the board and project.
  5. When you're done, you'll have a new Jira project with sample data. Here's what the board looks like!
    image.png

On the Confluence side of things - you can create a linked Confluence space from the Jira project by selecting "Project pages" on the left sidebar. However, this doesn't create any sample content in the space. If you also want sample Confluence content, follow these steps:

1. In Confluence, select View all spaces from the Space dropdown in the top toolbar
  2. Click the Create space button in the top right of the Spaces directory
  3. Select the Software project space template
    image.png
  4. On the next screen, be sure to select your sample Scrum project when filling out the other details of the new Confluence space
    image.png
  5. The newly created Confluence space will have some default pages - for example, a home page with some content areas you can fill in, and a list of Jira issues from the linked project. You can use the index pages (Meeting Notes, Product Requirements, etc) to create new content in the space from templates.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

SB July 14, 2021

Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much. This is exactly what I needed. I have now tried it. Even though it isn't fully fledged project, this is a good start. 

If I may, I highly recommend creating a help wiki or something just for this information. I searched and could not find this information. Also, these instructions work only if you go to Expert Configuration. In the simplified configuration, this option is not offered. 

Thank you again. 

Lior Efraim February 14, 2024

Hi,

it's 2024 and i'm on Jira DC V9.4.10 

i don't see option to create a board with sample data, is there any other option?

Lior Efraim February 14, 2024

Found it - when you are in the "create a project" window there is an option at the bottom "Create Sample data".

0 votes
Emmanuel Kelechi Anyim May 14, 2023

Yeah I do agree with you 

SB July 11, 2021

Thank you @Anand Patwari  Unfortunately, that seems to be for service management instead of project/product management.

Anand Patwari July 12, 2021

Oh ok, I suggest you start with a project and start adding features one by one.. as per your requirement, you will get a hang of it, all the Best!!

SB July 12, 2021

Thank you Anand. It isn't for a particular project but for new people to learn the product. Unfortunately, that creating and maintaining a new project manually will take considerable resources. Hence the reason I was asking if there is a sample project with all the bells and whistles that can be imported.

Like # people like this
Akhil August 16, 2022

it would be helpful for learners, presenting a sample project. as a documentation will really helpful.

Like Ernesto Di Marco likes this
askfordowding July 14, 2023

hi, I am also looking for this however the options in the screenshot were not available when I tried this. Do I need to enable something?

thanks,

Mark.

Suggest an answer