We have been using JIRA Service Desk since the first release and are now running 2.3.5.  When we first started using Service Desk we imported tickets via CSV with their created and resolved dates set correctly from our original issue tracking system.  We have only recently become interested in SLAs but are facing a problem with these imported tickets.

Essentially the SLA timers keep running on all imported tickets, including those which were imported as Resolved.  We have several thousand imported tickets and so it is significantly skewing our statistics.

I believe our problem is that a SLA timer will only occur on an event, such as "Entered Status: Resolved".  These events haven't happened for imported tickets, how can we fix this so that our SLAs become meaningful?

4 answers

Is hard to tell exactly how to solve your problem without seeing the tickets you imported and the configurations you have to calculate SLAs, but I think this problems is happening because this tickets never fired the action which stops the SLA time.

If you reopen one of this tickets and close it again, it will the SLA counter stop? And if the reporter add a new comment to the ticket?

One possible solution to this problem would be a bulk edit in this tickets do fire the action which stops the SLA counter.

We already have a bug report regarding this odd behavior in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-1221

If you need to share you configurations to achieve this bulk edit (if possible), I would recommend to you to open a ticket in our support channel.

 

Cheers!
Regards

@TAS what you suggest appears to be what is happening, the trigger for these imported tickets is never fired.  If we open and then close an imported ticket then the timers are stopped, but when bulk transitioning all these tickets the SLA is well and truly exceeded - some of our tickets that were imported were from 2008, the SLA is then calculated from 2008 to the date of transition not the date of the closing of the ticket.

What configuration information would be helpful? We are currently using the default SLA start/stop/pause conditions (eg for the Time to Resolution stopping on Entered Status: Resolved).

We had this issue too. Couple of workarounds I have discovered seem to work.

Set multiple stop conditions, ie resolved and closed statuses - it may be your imported issues never entered resolved, but are marked as "closed" or similar

or add a created after condition to your jql to filter out imported issues.

 

If the tickets are that old, then one workaround is to exempt them from SLAs (Using JQL in goals of SLA definition) ?

Suggest an answer

Log in or Join to answer
Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,233 views 14 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot