Rollinbg back plugin to earlier version

Andrew Thorne February 18, 2019

Hello,

We have installed the Power Custom Field plugin by cPrime. The plugin was called Kepler before.

Anyway, after version 4.0.4, we did not update it as it went from being free to being a paid plugin. However, one of my colleagues clicked on the update button and we now have a trail version (4.5.3) installed. I have tried to go back to the last unpaid version (4.0.4) by downloading the file and installing it manually but this does not appear to make any difference to the version reporting in the plugin manager.

Does anybody know how I can revert this plugin to the previous version?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

1 answer

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2019

Plugin vendors typically support your ability to upgrade your plugin data, however your ability to downgrade the same data is not always supported, nor is it implied.

In theory you could revert the plugin in jira by:

1. Stop Jira
  2. Navigate to your $JIRAHOME/plugins/installed-plugins/
  3. Find the new plugin in this folder with a .jar extension
  4. remove that file from this folder
  5. Copy the old .jar file to this same folder
  6. Start Jira.
  7. Possibly reindex (depending on the plugin if it adds custom fields)

However this approach does have a rather big potential caveat.   And that is that the data for that plugin stored in the Jira database.  Jira's database can store all sorts of plugin data, and even plugin license keys.  Simply reverting the plugin does nothing to downgrade your plugin data, presumably.  It is possible that you might have to revert the entire Jira database to a time before the plugin upgrade happened in order to re-gain your previous functionality level.   If that is the case, it might be worth trying to setup a new installation of Jira, and restore a backup XML file (jira automatically is creating these and storing them in the $JIRAHOME/export/ folder).   And then trying to take a CSV export of your current Jira system to only export issues that changed since that plugin upgrade.   In theory you could then try to merge your change data back into the restored backup instance as a means to get past this problem.

Andrew Thorne May 17, 2019

Hi, Andrew, sorry I did not get back sooner but I had forgotten about this. Indeed, the problem was resolved when the server was rebooted; I am sure I have done this before but did not have any problem with the roll-back showing up immediately.

Oh, well. Thanks for your comments.

Andrew

Like Andreas Dudek likes this

Suggest an answer