Resolution status frustration

Sean Lively July 31, 2020

Mostly venting- I setup a new workflow today, and I've been burned enough by the Resolution status to remember to go back through all of the transitions and manually add the Post Function to change Resolution to Done or None.

Seriously, why is this not in the transition edit screen? Or some warning like "Hey, we noticed that your workflow won't actually set resolutions to Done anywhere". 

Of course 6 months later when you realize that your reports don't show resolution dates, you can't fix it, since you can't edit the resolution date. All you can do is a mass resolution status update, and have a retarded looking chart showing 6 months worth of tickets resolved on one day.

3 answers

1 vote
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2020

I keep saved filters that show issues that are Closed but have no Resolution value set. And issues that are Open with a Resolution value still set. That points me towards the broken workflows.

Though sometimes people Move an issue and change the status to Closed without setting a Resolution :(

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2020

I don't know. Does jira really need more popups and helpers? I think it's valid for a Jira Workflow author to know the basics before they decide that they're experts.

I think the push to make it easier and easier for people to manipulate has seriously dropped the quality of implementations.

I know this for a fact: I made a living for 5 years cleaning up Jira instances that had been borked by administrators lacking basic training. 

Sean Lively August 3, 2020

Please point me in the direction of "Basic" Jira training that reminds you to manually add a post function to manipulate the Resolution Status during a transition to a "Done" Issue Status, with the warning that you'll be unable to modify the Resolution Date if you fail to do so.

It certainly should not require an Expert to add a new issue status to a workflow.

I think Atlassian's push to add new features and ignore backlogged issues has seriously dropped the quality of the implementations, to the point that "Experts" can make a living by cleaning up Jira instances.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2020

It's been this way since jira 3, so it's not as if the push for new features introduced a bug here. 

The absolutely basic "workflow" documentation clearly covers this issue and need to customize the resolution per workflow. https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/working-with-workflows-776636540.html

Oh no, I'm the bad guy for reading the docs and selling my expertise. 🙄 It's pretty clear you won't be happy until jira reads your mind. 

0 votes
George Mihailoff July 31, 2020

Totally agree, Jira interface should have something to remind about it.

You can fix it though, we ended up creating a special tool as part of our addon. Because we deal with workflow metrics, we already have all the necessary data to fix it -- https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218809/quantify

Sean Lively August 3, 2020

Your tool can modify the resolution date for Jira Cloud issues?

George Mihailoff August 3, 2020

Yes. This is how it works 1) you do a JQL search 2) we suggest a proper resolution date based on actual transitions 3) you export CSV 4) use Jira import to update the dates

The location of the tool is not obvious in the app, please reach out to support for help. (this is not the core feature so we didn't place it in the "main menu")

Quantify-Resolution-Checker-Jira.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events