Release Management documentation

JohnV September 27, 2011

So I'm working on integrating Bamboo with Jira expressly for the purpose of being our Release Management platform.

I'm having trouble finding good current documentation since the integration of the RMP into Jira & Bamboo.

I have the applications linked.. but I'm not sure where to go from here.. are there any guides out there?

Ideally I would like to have the ability to promote or demote releases via Bambo/Jira

4 answers

2 votes
JohnV October 19, 2011

yeah it would be good to get a clear how to.. or best practices for the full process..

0 votes
ReneR
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2011

Can you provide more details on what specific procedural questions you have? Release procedures can vary very widely.

"How to setup your project to branch and tags as you would do when releasing"

What build tool are you using? Maven? Ant? Rake?

What VCS? Svn? Hg? Git?

What's your branching strategy?

Describe your release process and how you do it manually now and we can try and frame a more expansive answer around that.

bjartenilsen October 25, 2011

My comment was meant in a general way. What is the idea from Atlassian about how to do this as those links over brag about this possibility.

My personal projects use maven, and we use the maven-release-plugin to branch and tag in maven. Our cirrent method is to work on trunk, then branch at some point. Then continume to work on branch, merging to trunk, and eventually make a tag and build the release

JohnV October 25, 2011

Cool.. details: SVN, Some Maven builds some Ants depending on project. Currently we build and package to a tar that will have all code that can be deployed for a product. Not that we are Wed to this, but some of our products will have a Web Component hosted on one or more Resin, Tomcat, or Jboss servers, and we may also have a "Script" component that is on it's own server.

We use a feature-branch Strategy. Trunk is sacrid and is supposed to be the same as what is currently in production. When a Developer (or team) starts working on an iteration they cut a branch from the trunk and work in there. When they are ready for QA, they cut a QA tag off their branch. (if it's a mvn project we use the mvn-release plugin). If the Code is deemed bad, or if there needs to be another QA review then the QA tag is Removed and Dev cuts a new one.

When the code is QA'd and Blessed, I svn cp the qa tag to a tags/Version# and I build for productional release. it's a separate build for QA and Production because we have build time properties that are set based on the environment the code is destine for.

once the Code is Live in production Dev merges the Tag back to trunk, ensuring that Trunk = what is in production.

I would like to automate as much of this as I possably can.. The trubble is having some working examples to work from.

0 votes
ReneR
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2011

Oh and for the other question as to how to "Demote" a release, there isn't any functionality per se in Bamboo to specifically do that. But I think demoting a Release is essentially overwriting it with another which you deem is better (whether or not it's a sequentially higher revision or not). So if you have a Plan already that releases one version you could trigger it (directly in Bamboo) to overwrite a deployment of a newer (bad) release.

Though of course, what would like to happen in JIRA with the issues that were rolled up in the release that you're overwriting?

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2011

Check these links:

Documentation

Release blog

bjartenilsen October 19, 2011

These links doesn't really tell you how to do it. First link marely tells you how to trigger a build from JIra, but not how to set up your project to branch and tag as you would do when releasing.

Link two just informs you that it's possible. Not how to do it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events