Random issue duplication?

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

Hi, Please see attached image.

We often get a couple of duplicated issue,

Everything is the same except it gets allocated a new key?

It is random, but it's causing problems and frustration!

Regards,

Warren

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2013

There's no attachment.

The behaviour is consistent and correct - you definitely should get a new key for a separate issue. I think you need to look at how you are creating the issues. Are your users hitting back and re-committing data? Is it a script? Is there a browser issue? What you're seeing is the result of Jira getting the same request twice...

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/3QRlNm5.jpg

Image link

We spoke to the teamleader and they can asure they are not making two issues of the same and that however Jira is creating the duplicates? Hard even formyself to believe as it's almost an automated process?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2013

Jira itself won't create duplicates (unless you've got some seriously dodgy code in there), but it will respond to multiple requests.

I think we need to concentrate on how the issues are created, as we need to establish whether that method is creating two create requests, or if Jira has the aforementioned dodgy code added.

Now, I notice the summary of the issues all start with FW, which implies they are being created by email - is that the case? My immediate thought is that if you've got TWO email handlers installed and they are scanning the same email inbox, then you could have a situation where handler #1 picks up an email and starts to deal with it, then handler #2 does the same before handler #1 is finished and deletes it from the inbox. (Ok, a wild guess, but it fits at the moment - definitely the first problem to rule out). Have a look in Admin -> Services and check the email handlers.

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

What exactly should i be looking for in the email handlers?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2013

Two of them trying to read the same mailbox.

Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2013

As in the "Catch Email Address:" in the incoming mail handlers?

if that is so, then there are more than one handler using the same Catch Email Address?

0 votes
uday ramakrishna March 12, 2013

We have the same issue. Tow issues had the same unique project number and only one of them shows up. It shows up in all the search filters but there is no way to get rid of it. Does anyone know what table in the database i would look for to remove this entry?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2013

We need to know exactly what you are seeing - Jira normally crashes out completely when two issues have the same key, and the data could be scattered through all sorts of places. Even if I pointed you at a particular table, we'd still need to see more before you could update the data correctly.

uday ramakrishna March 12, 2013

Thanks for the quick response Nic. By some strange sense 2 people entered requests and it landed in one ticket number. Looks like the last one took the precedence. that said when i have a filter for aging projects the first one still shows up in the summary and under the assignee name with the correct desicriotion. When that ticket is clicked it leads to the second ticket that was created and displays the correct ticket. The issue is that it is squeing the numbers and i like to delete this ticket that seems to be the mole. I mainly see this happen when there is a filter of sorts.

0 votes
Paul Ramson February 20, 2013

Hi we have the same problem. We've managed to isolate it down to the mail handler creating multiple issues according to the number of people emailed in the 'to' field of the email, we also think it may be group mailing list addresses that don't have matching users.

It would be good for you to confirm this is the case for you too then one of us could lodge a bug.

Regards

Paul Ramson

0 votes
Warren McInnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

Suggest an answer