Raising tickets by email through one emailc account

Jason Judge August 22, 2011

I have installed Jira, created a project, created an email account on our mail server called "tickets" then linked the project to that email account. When I send an email to that address (tickets@mydomain.com) a ticket is raised.

So far, so good.

To set this up for further projects, following the instructions, it will be necessary to create a mail account for each project. I would like to avoid this if we can.

Our mail server allows as many aliases as we like for each email account. So project1@mydomain.com, project2@mydomain.com etc can all go straight to tickets@mydomain.com

Now the question is, can Jira be set up to use this? Can several projects in Jira all check the same email POP3 account but only pull out the emails addressed to them in that account? I just want each project to ignore emails not directed at them.

I woould like to do it this way to simplify the management of the email accounts, with there only being one to manage. I can also change the aliases at little notice if any of them end up being used for spamming us.

-- Jason

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
justindowning
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2011

Projects do not 'check' email accounts, a service in JIRA does. That being said, the answer to your question is yes, you can use one mailbox for multiple projects in the way you described.

If all of your project alias email addresses are directed to one mailbox, you can set the parameters as service check for each project as so:

handler.params: project=PROJ1, issuetype=1, createusers=false, notifyusers=false, bulk=delete, stripquotes=true, ccassignee=false, catchemail=project1@mydomain.com, ccwatcher=true
handler.params: project=PROJ2, issuetype=1, createusers=false, notifyusers=false, bulk=delete, stripquotes=true, ccassignee=false, catchemail=project2@mydomain.com, ccwatcher=true

Each of these services can point to the same 'popserver.'

Jason Judge August 22, 2011

That works great. I love the email handling of jira - being able to past screen shots into an email and having it pulled in as an attachment is just perfect. Running multiple prtojects through one mailbox certainly helps us manage the system in a simpler way.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2011

The approach of configuration per mailbox doesnt scale too well, as each additional mail handler has to poll. I got to 30+ and decided to write JEMH to fix it. JEMH supports dynamic project assignment if you setup a virtual mailbox (arbitrary users within a domain), the to: users are mapped to project keys. One handler, mulitple mailboxes, the way to go. Coming in a JIRA 5 world, JEMH will also allow arbitrary mapping 'in handler' of various addresses to projects, kind of delegated catchmail at the handler level.

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JEMH/JIRA+Extendable+Mail+Handler

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events