Query help. carry over sprint to sprint

dan_marcantel July 31, 2019

Anyone have a good Jira query that shows what stories are carried over from sprint to sprint.

I have tried old queries with the new company I work with but none work because the way the set it up is so jacked up. 

basically I want to see any story that did not reach a done state in one sprint and carried over to the next sprint. Seems to be quite the problem where i am at now. Poor sprint planning. 

Any good reporting plugins? 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2019

i think that you would need an addon e.g. Scriptrunner or similar. With scriptrunner you could use 

issueFunction not in completeInSprint(board name, [sprint name])

but that would only cover a specific sprint. Unsure if there is a way to cover all historical sprints. 

dan_marcantel July 31, 2019

I'll try it 

dan_marcantel December 4, 2019

I can't try script runner my company wont let me buy new plugins or even try them.

George_ Sanju July 5, 2022

This does not work.. It is pathetic that  JIRA cannot provide a report of story carrying over from one sprint to another. Such a shame for a product to provide the simplest of the report

Stefanie Sullivan December 15, 2022

@Jack Brickey  Is there a way to report on the previous sprint vs specifying a hard coded value?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2022

Hi @Stefanie Sullivan , is your question related to the topic of this post, I.e. how to report on sprint 'carry over' or are you asking specifically about reporting on closed sprints? The later is available in most default sprint reports where you can select the sprint of interest.

Stefanie Sullivan December 16, 2022

Hi @Jack Brickey  I am looking to create a dashboard to show which issues keep carrying over and how many times. I would like to see that info for the current sprint and the previous sprint.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2022

Hi @Stefanie Sullivan , I haven't given this a lot of thought as there hasn't been a need. However, I would play with Automation and a custom number field. Something like this...

for the automation rule...

trigger = sprint completed

condition = for all issues not in done column category

Action = increment the counter

Action = add comment for historical purposes, e.g. "This issue was not completed in xxxx sprint". The xxxx is a smart value for the sprint triggering the rule.

for the custom field ("sprint miss count") default it to "0".

with this you could build filters that could be used with dashboard gadgets - project = abc and sprint is not empty "sprint miss count" != 0

you could use pie charts or two dimensional gadgets, etc. to display.

final note - there certainly could be a better way to achieve your goal. I just wanted to share my quick thoughts. 

Like Chabba_ Sunish likes this
Stefanie Sullivan December 29, 2022

will bring that back to the team and let you know how it goes. thanks!

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Chabba_ Sunish February 13, 2023

Tried the following but it showed an error upon saving.

• The rule has been configured with components that require issues to be provided by the trigger. To run these components you must add a branch for this sprint or JQL. The following components require issues: Issue condition, Comment on issue

Screenshot 2023-02-14 154823.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2023

Hi @Chabba_ Sunish ,

yes the branch will bound your issues to those in the Sprint. Use the following and add your action components.

8950A555-71B5-44F9-81EC-394A7898C49A.jpeg

Chabba_ Sunish February 14, 2023

Thanks @Jack Brickey . 

6 votes
Scott Thurston December 4, 2019

I think JIRA should come up with a report that shows all the items that were carried over across multiple sprints. This would help teams identify if they are:

• over-committing at the start of sprints
  • if they are beginning in work that is not really ready for development (thus blocks happen and the story does not complete in the sprint).
  • If they are sizing stories to low
  • poor acceptance criteria
  • etc

Reviewing carryover work from a nice report would really help teams conduct good retros and improve. 

Yolanda Repetto-Logan August 30, 2021

Agree!

Like Delaney Hunt likes this
4 votes
Scott Thurston December 4, 2019

Would it not be super helpful to have an icon or indicator on issues that are carryover.  Make it stand out a bit so it is easier for the team to spot, monitor, track, and helpfully address and improve on.

Suggest an answer