It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Query help. carry over sprint to sprint

Anyone have a good Jira query that shows what stories are carried over from sprint to sprint.

I have tried old queries with the new company I work with but none work because the way the set it up is so jacked up. 

basically I want to see any story that did not reach a done state in one sprint and carried over to the next sprint. Seems to be quite the problem where i am at now. Poor sprint planning. 

Any good reporting plugins? 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Community Leader Jul 31, 2019

i think that you would need an addon e.g. Scriptrunner or similar. With scriptrunner you could use 

issueFunction not in completeInSprint(board name, [sprint name])

but that would only cover a specific sprint. Unsure if there is a way to cover all historical sprints. 

I can't try script runner my company wont let me buy new plugins or even try them.

I think JIRA should come up with a report that shows all the items that were carried over across multiple sprints. This would help teams identify if they are:

• over-committing at the start of sprints
  • if they are beginning in work that is not really ready for development (thus blocks happen and the story does not complete in the sprint).
  • If they are sizing stories to low
  • poor acceptance criteria
  • etc

Reviewing carryover work from a nice report would really help teams conduct good retros and improve. 

Would it not be super helpful to have an icon or indicator on issues that are carryover.  Make it stand out a bit so it is easier for the team to spot, monitor, track, and helpfully address and improve on.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you