Project Management Template create columns that can create tasks

Lenin Falconi October 18, 2023

Hi, there I am new to this Jira World. I found very interesting the Project Management Template to trak a project I am directing. However, the template even though it lets to create new columns. I have noticed that only the ToDo Column is able to create issues. Any new column is not able to do it. Consequently, my question is how do I edit this behavior so that I create a new column which can create issues? I have checked to edit workflow but nothing has worked.

On the other hand I have noticed that Kanban templates allow to build any issue in any column but lack the view like list and calendar. So if the former is not possible How can I add to Kanban project the missing views that a project management template has?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2023

Hi @Lenin Falconi,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

You can only have one column that can create new issues, each column is tied to one or more statuses in a workflow and it is only the initial status that the create transition can be linked to, it cannot be linked to multiple statuses.

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 12.53.13 PM.png 

Lenin Falconi October 18, 2023

Okey, got lost.... I am getting confused with things that Trello does or Asana..... Could you point me in the right direction please

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2023

In Jira the workflow is in the center of everything, and your starting point will be the initial status for the issue. In the screenshot I included above the initial status is To Do. The board columns have statuses mapped to them, but that mapping is 1:1, so you cannot map the To Do status to more than one column. Unlike Trello or Asana you can only create an issue in the column that is mapped to the initial status, in this example To Do. Once you have created the issue you can drag-n-drop the issue between the columns.

You learn more about workflows in this guide and boards are covered in this guide.

Lenin Falconi October 24, 2023

Thanks

Lenin Falconi October 24, 2023

@Mikael Sandberg This is what bugges me. I just created a kanban from software tempaltes and you can see that each column is able to create a task. When I used the template for Project Management, in fact only TO DO can create issues. But this Kanban seems to allow me to create wherever.....between those columns. What I wanted was to have the same behavior in Project Template....I don't get it

Jira 2023-10-24 233902.png

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 25, 2023

What you are seeing is because you have at least two different workflows in the project and the initial status for one of the workflows is linked to the in progress column like this:

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 9.25.05 AM.png

In my case I have tasks and stories in the project and they have different workflows. 

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 9.28.06 AM.png

If I click on create issue in the To Do column it would create a task, and if I click on create issue in the In Progress it would create a story.

Lenin Falconi October 27, 2023

Auch.... I guess I am lost. It is great to have your logical answer. I am going to check more deeply what you have already sent me as information. If you could point also in another resource to have this concepts clear, I would appreciate it so much. Thanks for your time and support

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2023

The easiest way to see the two workflows that you have is to go to Project settings > Board > Columns and statuses. From there you will see that you have two workflows, it should look something like my screenshot above. 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2023

This might be a good resource, Manage how work flows in your team-managed project, it talks about multiple workflows and the board.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events