Number of custom fields that Jira software can accommodate without degrading the performance

Dinesh November 2, 2020

I read some of the blogs in the Atlassian website and many of them feel that even if we have more than 1,000 custom fields it shouldn’t cause any performance issues, do we have any official guidance from Atlassian about the number of fields that Jira software (10,000 user licenses) can accommodate with out causing any performance issues? 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2020

Much as I approve of reductionism when analysing a problem, it is only a part of your toolkit, and one single part of a system still has to be considered as part of the whole.

I can show you a Jira system with 4,000 custom fields that performs really well, alongside another one I am trying to fix which is struggling despite only having 30ish.

1,000 fields could easily cause you performance issues, but it will only do so in certain places and combined with other factors.

Suggest an answer