Multiple projects on a one scrum board

Samantha Uebel January 19, 2021

Problem:

Management needs a way to

• view a product's overall progress 
  • see what issues are being worked on by every department for that product. 

Dev teams need a way to

• run sprints with multiple projects on one board 

What I've tried to do:

1. Created Jira software projects for each product with a Kanban board to show overall status 
  2. Created Jira software projects for each of the teams (Hardware Team, Software Team, Mobile Team etc.) with scrum boards to run sprints
  3. Created swimlanes for projects on the scrum boards and swimlanes for JQL "labels = department name"

Team board example

Zeus is one of our projects.Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 3.12.30 PM.png

Project Board ExampleScreen Shot 2021-01-19 at 3.13.53 PM.png

I chose this format in order to get the "Roadmap" feature to help give mgmt a 10k foot view for how long a project is going to take and to help break down the timeline for each department to know when to expect certain epics to be done. The Dev team was attaching a component to each product to group issues, but that didn't allow mgmt to see an overview of what all the teams were doing on one product at a given time or give a time frame (roadmap) of when it was going to be completed. 

Mainly, I'm just wondering if there is a better way to achieve this transparency across projects and departments with these boards. 

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Gordon Jones January 20, 2021

I am also a new user and struggled with the similar issue.  I recently discovered that this is easily adjusted within the SCRUM Board Filtering sections.

First I am using all "Classic" project templates and I am on a Premium user license (if these make a difference).

Here is how I did it -

1. Open the SCRUM Board
  2. Access the BACKLOG
  3. Go to Manage the Board Settings 
  4. Access the Saved FILTER section "Edit Filter Query"
    • I have a basic Filter here - project = PROJECTNAME ORDER BY Rank ASC
    • I switch to Basic
    • You then get a Drop Down where the name of your Project is
    • Select the multiple Projects
    • Save Update your Filters 

You now can see all of your back log items across all the projects you want to build a sprint for and will end up on the one Board.

I hope this helps

Samantha Uebel January 22, 2021

Yes this does! Yes I think this plus making sure the workflows and status are all accounted for. 

Thanks

Gordon Jones January 22, 2021

Exactly !!!   Glad it helped.

HimanshU PrasaD March 15, 2022

Hi Samantha, this is not an answer, I wanted to know how did you create 

1. Jira software projects for each product with a Kanban board to show overall status 
  2. Created Jira software projects for each of the teams (Hardware Team, Software Team, Mobile Team etc.) with scrum boards to run sprints
  3. Created swimlanes for projects on the scrum boards and swimlanes for JQL "labels = department name"
0 votes
Lisa Bille-Kavoura December 13, 2022

Hi Samantha, I'm strugling with this as well. I created a new project and wanted to implement it in the Swimlane filter, but I don't know how. So I want to filter the swimlane by two projects. But currently, in the swimlane it only shows me the Project 1 and Project 2. Instead, i want to see Project 2 and 3 in the swimlane. How do i do that? 

thank you very much :-)

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 17.16.02.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events