Moving tickets in the same project clears fields

Deleted user March 20, 2019

I'm trying to move tickets from one issue type to the other. From Bug to Dev-Task

- They are both in the same project

- They have the same screens

- They have the same workflow

I see that the ticket number doesn't change so I'm guessing the ticket doesn't go through a "create ticket" action via the workflow.

These issue types don't have the same fields in the create-edit-view screens: meaning if the ticket has already been created and maybe went through some transitions - it will have some extra fields that don't exist in the create screen).

Should the type that the ticket is moved to (Dev-Task) have the fields the original issue type (Bug) has in the create screen (although it doesn't seem to actually create a new ticket)?

3 answers

0 votes
Crystelle S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2023

I'm not certain this is the answer but if someone comes looking, my site admin suggested that in moving from one ticket type to another, a field was marked required, this setting (going from not required to required) can trigger a required update in the move process.. leading the system to clear out the current value. Very old question and probably not everyone's issue, but I am working on Data Center and thought I'd add here in case it helps!

0 votes
Erica Vorsay November 4, 2019

Hi Keren

We have had the same issue and found that the cause is the Request Type. When we move from one issue type to another, the Request Type does not update and is left blank. If we manually populate Request Type, the content is visible to the customer.

Hope this helps

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2019

You say they have the same screens but then go on to say they don't have the same fields on the create screen which disagrees with the first statement. Do both issues have all the same fields, but just not on the create screen? 

Yes.

Both issue types share the same screen scheme, meaning their create, edit and view screens are the same.

Inside these screens: the create screen doesn't share the same fields as edit and view. for example: reviewed by and verified in version/s are fields that appear in edit and view and not in create since these fields are required in the ticket's progress and not in its creation.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2019

I don't know why this is happening. As long as the fields are defined in both issues. Is there a different context for each issue type? 

I'm not sure what you mean by context, but they have the exact same fields since they have the exact same screen scheme and screens.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2019

Select and mulit-select lists can be configured to have different values depending on issue type or project. That means while the fields are the same the values from the select list aren't. that is the only reason I can think of that may clear the field. That configuration is called context. 

But I'm moving the same ticket from one issue type to the other. I'm not changing anything, just moving.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2019

I understand. I'm just trying to think of things that would cause a problem.  Are ALL the fields being cleared or just some. If all fields there may be a script or plugin you're unaware of causing it. If only some fields check to see if they are the ones not on the create screen or are they select lists? If lists are the values in the select list the same in both issue types? 

Deleted user March 21, 2019

My main question is: if some fields are missing from a create screen could this cause them to not copy their values?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events