Migration path from Jira 4.0.1/Greenhopper/Crowd -> Jira 4.4.4 / without Crowd?

Dave Belliveau January 19, 2012

Hello,

We currently have Jira 4.0.1 / Greenhopper 4.2.1 connected to Crowd. We would like to move Jira to a new server, upgrade to Jira 4.4.4, and stop using Crowd (use Jira authentication). I've tried several variations of the 4.4.4 upgrade instructions (upgrade in place, upgrade while moving) and I end up with either an installation that won't start or one that starts but I cannot log into. I've also tried individual project import but that doesn't work because the versions are different. Can anyone suggest a migration path that might work?

Thanks,

Dave

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Belliveau January 22, 2012

I managed to work out the upgrade steps. Here's how I did it:

1. Move the 4.0.1 installation, as is, to the new server.

2. Disconnect Crowd:

a. Reverse the crowd integration steps, replacing changed filed with originals, using instructions found here:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Integrating+Crowd+with+Atlassian+JIRA+4.2+or+earlier

b. Start Jira and turn off external user management.

c. Manually add/remove users from Jira that were in Crowd. (Fortunately, not a big deal for me.)

c. Delete all entries from the external_entities table. This is important! If you don't do this

the version 4.4.4 upgrade will fail.

3. Upgrade to 4.4.4:

a. Delete the jira user, if you don't want the upgrade process to create user jira1.

b. Do Jira 4.4.4 manual upgrade, as described here:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA044/Upgrading+JIRA+Manually

1 vote
Aspect Infra Team
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2012

we go trough the same

our path was

1) upgrade crowd if required for Jira 4.4

2) upgrade Jira to 4.4 with crowd

3) add ldap user directory in Jira, sync it with ldap, move higher than crowd in directory list

4) disable and remove crowd

Thanks I'll give that a try.

0 votes

We're using an internal crowd directory. Also, I should have mentioned earlier that we're using standalone versions of everything on Linux.

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2012

With crowd, are you using an internal crowd directory or LDAP?

Suggest an answer