Merging two Jira systems

Ian Moroney January 14, 2013

Hi there,

Assuming that the two Jira systems are running the same version, is there any procedure or documentation in order to merge two Jira databases/systems together?

The reason for asking is because we are about to merge with a company who also use Jira and we'd all like to operate under one system.

We're happy to merge both databases into a new instance of Jira if that is what is required. I'd like some guidelines as to whether this has been done before or if it's even possible.

Thanks.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
C. Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2013

this will be not that easy to achieve.

keep in mind that some IDs will be the same but the values are differing...

i.e. custom_fields, workflows, permissionschemes etc...

i suggest to setup a test instance and import projects. i expect a failure using full backup & restore.

on the test system you should..

1. full restore from one jira back up

2. import projects from the second backupfile

the importer will show errors for unmet dependencies such as states issuetypes etc. and you will need to add those manually.

once all errors are solved you should be able to import all projects and put them all together in one Jira Installation.

take your time. schedule a downtime so nobody is making changes to each of the databases your two jira instances are running on. sync attachments and you should be fine

0 votes
gowridhar madu June 4, 2015

In my company we have 4 JIRA instances which i am planning to combine to 1.Can you suggest best and fast approach?

Tolu Abisola
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 14, 2016

I am in a similar position as I have just joined a company with the exact same problem. Would be good to know the best way to approach this issue

0 votes
Ian Moroney June 3, 2015

We ended up exporting the projects from the smaller system and imported them into the larger system.

Recommend setting up a test environment (clone your prod environment?) and try the import.

0 votes
gowridhar madu June 3, 2015

any success in this senario?

0 votes
Ian Moroney January 30, 2013

Thanks, i'll give it a try!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events