Make changes in language_xx_XX.jar file

I wanna change some translations in Jira in my local language. I know that change needs to be done in language file <tt>atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib/</tt>language_xx_XX.jar.

Here is what I do:

• copy .jar file from server, extract it to folder (with 7zip)
  • found poperties file - JiraWebActionSupport.properties, made needed changes
  • add folder to zip, then rename file extension to .jar (can I do this or need jar command?)
  • copy language_xx_XX.jar back to server
  • restart Jira

... but my changes dont appear. What Im doing wrong? Can someone assist with this?

--------------------

JIRA (v4.1.2#531)

3 answers

1 accepted

Steps are correct, pay attention to this... just make sure you're zipping the contents of the folder, not the enclosing folder, when you re-zip

I tried the same process  - but I still cannot see the changes on my UI.

I recompiled all the extracted files by jar command.

What am I missing?

0 votes

There's a document for this here:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Editing+Files+within+JAR+Archives

That's a Confluence document, but the same principle applies. Basically you're doing it right; just make sure you're zipping the contents of the folder, not the enclosing folder, when you re-zip. Yes, you can zip then rename it to .jar.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that we have just released InProduct translation plugin for JIRA.

It allows to translate JIRA right from its page so you can see all messages and provided translations live in a second. You don't need to play with jars, zip, etc. Just install the plugin in JIRA, select "Translate Page" from the user profile menu in JIRA and start translations.

The plugin is available in marketplace: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.translations.jira.inproduct
You can install it from the UPM. It works with JIRA 5.1+.

Cheers,
Jacek

BTW. If you like the InProduct translation for JIRA and would like to have the same for Confluence then please vote and comment following issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/TRANS-579

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,781 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot