Log partial story points in Jira

Nagendra Shastry
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 16, 2021

Hi Team,

Suppose we have taken a task of 5 story points in a Sprint & say work of around 3 SP is completed at the end of iteration , how do I log this partial SP in jira? 

I discussed with few of my friends. They suggested to pull jira to next iteration board and reduce SPs . But in that case, jira will hold work of 2SP & 3SP work done in previous iteration will never be seen anywhere in burndown charts. Can you please help me to come out of this doubt?

Regards,

Nagendra

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2021

Hi @Nagendra Shastry and welcome to the Community,

Actually: you don't. Story points are a concept to indicate the relative size and/or complexity and/or value that you deliver in your project. As long as you haven't completed your story, you haven't really delivered anything.

Your question indicates that you would actually like to measure progress, aside of that. It is not an uncommon scenario to combine story point estimates (for value) with time tracking. Adding time based estimates and logging work will then automatically result in a burndown of your remaining estimate in hours, which accommodates for many PM's needs and requirements. An additional benefit is that you may also get an idea of the overall effort required to deliver story points.

This is an area where strong opinions play for and against some of these options. My goal here is mainly to provide you with a potential workaround for your challenge to track progress on an ongoing basis. 

Hope this helps!

Nagendra Shastry
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 18, 2021

@Walter Buggenhout  Thanks for this! It really helps in showing effort in burndown chart also helps me to be more accurate while giving story points for future work. 

sudakshina ghosh April 19, 2024

So does that mean configuring jira to show burndown in time(and not SP) is the only solution here?

Suggest an answer