Linked Issues Count

Mia Bright April 30, 2024

Hi Team,

We are trying to create a known issue register and want to be able to see the total number of linked issues for each issue e.g. each product team has their own Jira board which they will create am issue in for each bug. They will then link any incidents raised via our service desk to that bug. We need a quick way to see the total number of linked issues.

I have trawled through the community pages and seen lots of similar questions but they are never exactly what we are after so don't pull the right results. This is the automation I have tried so far and it works perfetcly when I link the first issue, but then never updates past "1" when I link further issues.

What am I doing wrong here? I have also tried {{destinationIssue}} instead of {{issue}}

Thanks,

Automation.PNG

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2024

Hello @Mia Bright 

Where do you want this linked issue count to get updated? In the Bug?

If so, your workflow context is important on how you set up the rule.

So for that, you need to be clear on how are users linking these issues.

• Scenario 1: If they navigate to the bug in Jira and then linking the incident by putting the key, you use {{issue}}. Then your logic is fine.
  • Scenario 2: If they are navigating to the newly created incident and linking to the bug from there, then you need to use {{destinationissue}} in your lookup and then you need to "Branch" over to {{destinationissue}} and edit the issue that way.

You have scenario 1 set up.

I am sharing how to set up scenario 2 in below screenshot.

You should have both these 2 rules to complete your requirement.

Also, good practice to log as much as you can so you can follow along your progress.

Hope it helps.

image.png

Thanks for your reply, I am wanting the count to display on the bug in a newly created field called "linked issue count" and I need the issues to be able to be linked from either the bug or the incident.

Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2024

Please implement another rule like i have in my screenshot. Together, the 2 rules (one you earlier authored and the new one) will complete your requirement.

Please let me know if issues, do share screenshot of audit log so we can see whats the issue.

I have added the second rule as advised 

Linked Issue Rule 2.PNG
However it doesn't appear the branch is working. When I try to link from the incident to the bug I get the following in the audit log, no issue count.

Incident Audit Log.PNG

If I link from the bug to the incident it doesn't run at all.

Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2024

Hello, looks like your issues are in different projects.

You need to include the scope of both projects in your rule details you are authoring. Please see if you have permissions to add / increase the scope.

Hi yes sorry I did mention in the original post that the bugs would be in the product team's boards and the incidents would be in our service desk. I'm not sure what you mean by check if I have permission to increase the scope? I am an admin and have permissions to do everything.

Sorry never mind, I have added the two projects together in the scope. Working now, thank you.

Kalyan Sattaluri
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2024

Great to hear, please consider accepting the answer so it can benefit others in the future. Thanks!

0 votes
Petar Cvetanovic July 10, 2024

@Kalyan Sattaluri 
Hey, what should I put in the edit field in the first formula check SS?

Can you verify the solution check video https://www.loom.com/share/d180900f3f43410983d08e94616e013eScreenshot 2024-07-10 at 15.06.43.png

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 1, 2024

Hi @Mia Bright

I'm glad to see you got this to work using Automation.

Just for future reference, if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, I think you might like the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of so-called smart columns that aren’t natively available, including the number of issue links, along with many other issue-link-related columns.

This is how it looks in action:

number-of-issue-links.gif

As you can see above, you can easily sort and filter by your smart columns, and also use them across JXL's advanced features, such as support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

This all just works - there's no automation or scripting whatsoever required.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2024

Hello @Mia Bright 

What is in the Audit Log for the rule execution when you link the second and later issues?

What are the details of the Edit action?

In the second and later link creations, from which issue are you initiating the link creation; the Bug or the Service issue?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events