Limitations on additional nodes in JIRA data-center

Navin_Sridharan January 4, 2019

Hello,

We currently have a 2 node JIRA cluster that are separated across two different data centers. Our load balancer (F5) is not really working as expected at GTM level and so we have decided to spin up additional nodes in the same data center and load balance them. I was just wondering if someone can provide us some suggestions/recommendations on if there's any limitation on the number of nodes that can be spun up as part of the cluster and what kind of load balancing scheme would be better to implement. Please note that although we currently have close to only 3500 users, we are expecting a projected growth of little over 10000 users in the next year . Thank you so much in advance!!

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2019

3,500 users is well within the parameters of plain Jira server working fine, without data centre, and I've seen it cope fine with 40,000 although at that point, I would have much preferred to go to DC.  If you're worried about load at this point, then I would be looking at factors other than users!

But it's good to look at increasing nodes anyway, especially with your plans for 13,500 users, it should rule out any worries about having too many users.

In theory, you can add quite a few nodes to a Jira DC install.  I'm aware of a couple of Jira DC installs using more than 4 nodes, but Atlassian only test up to 4, and hence do not actively recommend going to more than that.

4 nodes should be absolutely fine for your users though, I would plan that, test it and see how you get on.

Suggest an answer