Licensing question - few agents and ton of potential reporters

Boyan Biandov December 7, 2017

Hi everyone,

This is a licensing question: it appears that Atlassian does not distinguish between an agent and reporter when it comes to Jira licensing. Everyone counts towards the total license entitlement.

My environment is this: 3 agents and potentially hundred reporters. By reporters I use Atlassian's definition - a human who raises an issue but otherwise has no biz with Jira or the back end in any way. 

I know that I can setup a project to allow anonymous creation of issues but then I must be missing something - what would justify the cost of counting those reporters as paid users? Just the ability to go back; login and see their issues (I get that an anonymous reporter will never be able to see the issue they've just created)?

Not to say that the limitation just described above isn't significant but still there must be some other value added thing I am missing here?

Alternatively is there a licensing model where one pays for the agents but NOT for the reporters? I mean how can you budget rationally if you don't even know the ultimate population of your potential reporters, not to mention the dollar cost of such arrangement.

Thanks

~B 

2 answers

0 votes
Boyan Biandov December 11, 2017

@Christian Reichert (resolution) Thank you - that clarifies the issue. I found the place where "customers" are distinct from agents. Thanks

0 votes
Christian Reichert (resolution)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2017

Hi Boyan,

if you by reporter mean people who login to the Jiraservicedesk on the service desk portal to raise a request - then those people to not count towards the license. It's what Altassian refers to as "customers" in the Servicedesk context.

Who are customers in Jira Service Desk?

A Jira Service Desk customer is anyone who create requests through the customer portal or by email. Customers can:

• Create, comment on, and track requests through the customer portal
  • Create and comment on requests via email
  • Add comments and attachment to requests
  • Add other participants to their own requests

Customers are free and do not require a Jira Service Desk license. Anyone can create a service desk request and you'll never be limited to how many customers can access your service desk.

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk/pricing

Cheers,
Christian

Suggest an answer