Kanban Board filtered by contributions

Aaron Rothschild January 12, 2020

I should like to advance our team culture by introducing Kanban to a team of (non agile) Business Analysts (BA). All of them (currently there are nine BAs) work on (non agile and agile) projects. 

My starting point would be

1. to make sure each project with BA involvement has a separate JIRA Kanban board or
  2. a project with BA involvement has no such board, in which case the BAs work will be planned on a central BA board.
  3. this central JIRA Kanban board will have epics, user stories and tasks from all projects of all our BAs for both cases (1) and (2) above.

What steps I've already taken:

• I set up the central board and succeeded in showing items both from a separate project board (case 1) as well as items that can be found only on the central BA board (case 2).

Objective:

• With each weekly meeting I should like to discuss the open tasks (assigned to a BA) as well as tasks that team members contributed to, passing them on to other assignees (e.g. developers) or closed successfully.

Questions:

1. Initially the items on the central Kanban board need to be filtered to those with the assignee being part of the BA team. Is there a filter that would serve this purpose?
  2. Later on the items on the central Kanban board need to be filtered to those with contributions by any member of the BA team. Is there a filter that would serve this purpose?

Can this be done with out of the box Kanban boards? Our on premise installation is fairly restrictive when it comes to adding plugins etc.

1 answer

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2020

hi @Aaron Rothschild 

1. You may use
    project in (your projects business analysts work in separated by commas) and assignee in (username of your Analyst separated by comma)

2. Can you clarify the second expectation? You can always filter by quick filters or swimlanes but what to filter when you say contribution by business analyst is lost to me.

Cheers.

Aaron Rothschild January 12, 2020

@Ismael Jimoh 

Thank you for your reply, and apologies for the lack of clarity w.r.t. my second question. "Contributions" refer to the user's 

• being assigned an item
  • commenting on an epic, user story, task
  • assigning an item to another user
  • solving an item (being the assignee or not)

The first aspect can be covered by your helpful suggestion #1 above. How to cover the other three aspects is more difficult (at least for me).

To add one more aspect to my initial question, the view of the Kanban board should be limited to only those items that were commented on, assigned to another user or solved within the last week.

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2020

Hi @Aaron Rothschild ,

With the second the statement gets a lot more complicated because you are looking for various potential options that I cannot think of how to handle easily.

You will need the add-on scriptrunner because of the JQL functions it provides that lets us search by who commented on the issue.

Your JQL will be something like:

(assignee in (List of your team separated by commas)) OR ((issueFunction in commented("by user1") OR issueFunction in commented("by user2") ..... OR issueFunction in commented("by userN")) AND issuetype in (Task, Story, Epic)) OR (status changed to "Your resolution status" by "your user")

The one entry I am unaware of how to fetch is assigning an item to another user (when you say solving, I assume the user transitions the issue status else there is no way JIRA can tell if he just adds a comment that helps to solve the issue.)

The part about assigned, e.t.c in the last week would be tricky to implement as JIRA just has an updated date not specific date to mark date ticket is assigned, e.t.c.

Hope this helps get you started.

Suggest an answer