Jira project won't allow adding groups, but some groups are already added.

Christian
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 2, 2024

This must be a bug, because it's worked fine in the past, but now the groups don't show-up and it won't let me add groups to the project...

But, there's are a few groups that I've added in the past, I just can't add an additional group, there's no other groups that show-up.

Under the People section of the Project Settings it even says "Search for names, groups or email addresses."  But now, it appears to try to create an email address from the group I'm trying to add, but it's a group name, so there's no email for it.

This used to work just fine in the recent past, so not sure what changed.  I'm a full Jira and Org admin, so I "should" be able to see every group, etc.

2 answers

0 votes
Christian
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 3, 2024

UPDATE:  Ok, I ended-up spending another hour or two troubleshooting this and finally got the drop-down to autofill again... Whew!

But, it's not clear exactly what fixed it, I kept changing around my user groups, and ignored the yellow warning symbol about a user having multiple roles.  I needed admin users to be able to have User access admin product roles, but also be able to use Jira, which apparently requires them to have User roles.

Then there's something strange where, even if a user has full Jira admin and Org admin access, this drop-down feature will break, if there's not a lower-level access given (I guess), which is kinda strange in my opinion.

Does anyone know where a really good tutorial or guide is to Jira/Atlassian users and groups is, where it explains when your company needs a dozen custom groups to separate-out access per department, Managed accounts, and how to deal with default groups, etc.?

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2024

Hello @Christian 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

When I start to type in the name of a group, initially it shows as an email address but then quickly switches to showing the group names that match. At the bottom of the list is the email address it was trying to construct.

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 3.02.26 PM.png

Are you sure what you are typing in matches to a group that has access to the site?

Christian
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 3, 2024

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Thanks for your reply and great to be in the Atlassian community.

What you describe and what your screenshot shows is exactly how it used to work, but atlas, for the last week the auto-filling stopped filling-in the groups or anything else besides the default email, and I've left it up waiting for a while and it never loads anything else as it used to.

See attached similar screenshot as you have done... This is one Jira project that is side-by-side with another Jira project that has groups starting with "app-", but as you can see from the screenshot it only has groups I added a month ago, but doesn't auto-fill the drop-down with any of my other app groups.

jira-issue.png

Like John Funk likes this
Christian
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 3, 2024

In fact... the moment I start entering anything into that "Names or emails" field, which used to take Group names without any issues... I get the following...

Which appears to be some sort of GET request to a RESTful API endpoint for "groupuserpicker" but it results in an HTTP 403 error (forbidden).

• The "app-" groups have access to the Jira product.
  • The "app-" groups are in other Jira projects (from when I could add them).
  • I can add users from that group individually, if I copy the email address.
  • Nothing special about advanced permissions, should be close to default.
  • Nothing special about browser, just latest Chrome 126.0.6478.61 on macOS.

See attached screenshot from browser inspection panel...

group-user-picker.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2024

Have you tried the same steps in another browser application or a private browser window?

Do other admins with the same permissions have the same experience?

Christian
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 3, 2024

@Trudy Claspill 

• Yes, definitely other Jira and Org admins; that's what started me to create the first support ticket and this community question.
  • I just tried a new Incognito/private window in Chrome, which does have the exact same issue/s.
  • I just tried it in Firefox 127.0.2 and attached is its console errors...

firefox-jira-issue.png

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events