Jira dashboards: Overview of hours logged for sub-tasks when filtering for an epic

Magges April 20, 2024

Dear all, 

Fairly new to Jira, so hope I can get some support on below :) 

Situation
I my project we are dividing work from epics to tasks, and then each team-member logs workhours to sub-tasks hereunder. I would very much like to be able to visualize how much each member logs in our forecast vs. actual dashboard.
I am however struggling a bit with the views on sub task level.... 

Current Status: 
Currently I have a rich filter which is being used to gather all the relevant data.
In my dashboard I can show the total hours spend on each epic and underlying tasks as seen below:

jira 3.png

The assignees of sub-tasks are however listed as unassigned (the big pool of hours 24w 1h), and only the creator of the overlying stories are listed in the overview. 

Problem: 
I can however not see the overviews for my sub-tasks as these are not linked to the epic... 
I can get below where the sub-task are summed for each task. It would however be sweet if that could be split out so I could see the information for each sub-task or for the assignees of the sub-tasks.
Ideally I would be able to see how many hours each of our team-members logs to specific epics that way. 

Is there any neat way to do this, that does not require paid third party apps

jira 4.png

4 answers

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 22, 2024

Hi @Magges

welcome to the community!

Jira's built-in reporting capabilities can sometimes be a bit limiting, especially when it comes to time tracking. If you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, there are a number of apps available that add more powerful views and reports to your Jira site.

As an example, reading through your use case, I feel you might like the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of advanced features, including support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

With these, you can build a view like e.g. this in just a couple of clicks:

time-tracking-by-assignee.gif

This is really just one of a virtually endless number of possible views and reports; you can also view and group by any other issue fields, configure different sum-up styles, etc. etc.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Vicente Domínguez _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2024

Hello @Magges,

I am part of the Decadis team and I would like to propose a solution using the Two Dimensional Filter Statistics gadget of our app sumUp for Jira (Server / Data Center)

It is possible to group the time spent in tasks and their sub-tasks under an epic per assignee and per epic link with this gadget.

If you are interested in our app and need more information on how to configure the gadget, please, visit our documentation, create a request in our support portal or reply to us in this thread. We will be glad to help.

Best regards,

Vicente

Magges April 22, 2024

Hi Vicente, 

Thanks for the reply, 
Would like to explorer first if there is any options that does not require third party apps :) 

Kind regards Magges

0 votes
Magges April 21, 2024

HI @Ragavendran S 

1. What are the issue types you have configured as sub tasks?
    Issue type is Sub-task 
    Jira 5.png
  2. What's the JQL you used on the rich filter?
    I have just used "issuetype = Sub-task" in my Smart Filters 

Hope this helps :)
0 votes
Ragavendran S April 20, 2024

Hi @Magges 

Even I'm new to Jira Dashboards, but I've built 2 Dashboard so far, to clearly answer your questions, i need clarity for the below questions 

1. What are the issue types you have configured as sub tasks?
  2. What's the JQL you used on the rich filter?

Suggest an answer