Jira comments by email doesnt get stripped from the old message that jira is sending.

Lars Hellström Marcus July 12, 2011

I have searced and searched for a solution to this problem. All the comments by email to Jira doesn't get properly processed. Thats from replying to Jira Issue Created or Issue Commented emails (HTML formatted).

To not find any online solution to why this is happening strikes me curious. Am I the only one with this problem? Is it a known bug?

I am building a Support (help desk) enviroment. The customers answers everything via email and same for the staff. Thats the idea. I have set up procmail and JEMH to preprocess emails before Jira handles them. Procmail edits the subject on emails without (KEY-###) in the subject.

The problem:
The customer or staff answers to a Jira mail. Jira adds the comment and the rest of the jira mail. Every comment gets bigger and bigger. And its impossible to see or follow bug.

* edit
A ticket has been started JEMH-404

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Lars Hellström Marcus July 14, 2011

I found the solution and it was a real easy one. The solution is in the link below.

Click here

3 votes
Edwin Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2011

Use the CreateOrCommentPlusHandler attached in JRA-11807. This will allow you to specify a splitregex parameter, then you can customize regex to filter out original messages from email.

For example, to filter out all text and HTML original messages from Outlook 2003 emails, I would use:

splitregex=/(-+\s*Original Message\s*-+)|(____________*)/

Lars Hellström Marcus July 14, 2011

Thanx for the comment. But I'm using JEMH and don't want to disrupt that process.

1 vote
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2011

JEMH has that ability. Have a look in your JEMH jar for the example-emh.properties file. Just enable the regexp setting:

# Optional, after quote stripping, allow the possibility to apply a regexp against the remaining text to filter out included content from a reply
# outlook 2010 included content stripper== [_]{32},From: .*[\n]Sent: .*[\n]To: .*[\n]Subject: .*[\n],---------- Forwarded message ----------
# simple case, default from== [\n]From: .*[\n]
# outlook detect with 32 underscores== [_]{32}
bodyDelimiterRegexps=[_]{32},From: .*[\n]Sent: .*[\n]To: .*[\n]Subject: .*[\n],---------- Forwarded message ----------

Regexp matching is a little fiddly, Im workig on JEMHUI which will have some things to help...

Lars Hellström Marcus July 13, 2011

My JEMH emh.properties has the following line.

bodyDelimiterRegexps=[_]{32},From: .*[\n]Sent: .*[\n]To: .*[\n]Subject: .*[\n],Från: .*[\n]Skickat: .*[\n]Till: .*[\n]Ämne: .*[\n],---------- Forwarded message ----------

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2011

Sorry, I can't work with the information provided and this isn't the place for that. Please raise a Jira ticket to track the information required. See https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JEMH/How+to+Raise+a+Good+JEMH+Bug for details on what I need to help.

Lars Hellström Marcus July 13, 2011

Thanx. I have created a ticket JEMH-404.

Suggest an answer