Jira Events: Are specific events ovwerwriting "Generic Event"?

Markus Lepper
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2011

Checking this page: Adding a custom event I've got a questions

My assumption:

In case there is a specialized event available it is taken; else the "Generic Event".

Example:

Workflow: Open -> In Progress -> Closed (resolved)

Create issue (->Open) : Event "Issue Created" overwrites "Generic Event" ==> TRUE??

Open->In Progress: What event is used? "Issue Updated"* or "Generic Event"???

In Progress-> Closed: Event "Issue resolved" overwrites "Generic Event" ==> TRUE??

* Excerpt from above webpage: "Issue Updated" event is triggered when "An issue has had its details changed."

Is a status change a change of a detail? Or only if I change eg. the Description/another field?

A related question: In case the "Generic Event" is empty no inbetween (not create and not resolve)-status changes get mailed?

Thanks!

BR, Markus

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2011

I think you're over-thinking this.

It's actually very simple - look at the workflow "post functions". You'll find every single one has a single, unique, non-removable function of "fire event X". You can change the X to whatever event you want. There's no "overwrite" or precedents, every action fires a single workflow event.

System events are the hard coded ones that you have no control over. These are things like comment (issue commented), edit (issue updated), delete (issue deleted) and so on.

There's no overlap between the two - if you do something in the workflow, you get a workflow event. If you do something outside the workflow, you get the system event. Now, the events fired can be drawn from the same list, but there's no multiple event firing.

Földes László August 5, 2015

Did this change since 2011? In the "post function" there is a default "fire event" (which is dubious as it looks technical, with eventTypeID=13), but I can't change it, only change its position. AND I can add another Fire Event as I want (and those look human readable). These are exactly the opposite as what you stated.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2015

No, this has not changed - you can't add another system fire-event. However, there are addons that provide something alongside the system event, I suspect that's what you're seeing.

0 votes
Adnan Haider August 3, 2015

when i link the issue with already created issue. it didn't generate mail of issue updated. i need to know which are the events who are triggered to generate mail notification with issue update events.

Adnan Haider

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2015

Correct, you only get one issue updated event, for the issue you added the links to. If you added links during issue creation, then you haven't changed anything new, you've created an issue, so you get the "create issue" event.

0 votes
Markus Lepper
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2011

Thanks for clarifications, Nic!

BR, Markus

Suggest an answer