Jira Automation, usage limits

Dania Zaccara March 24, 2020

Hello,

I have some doubt about usage limit for execution of automation in Jira.

I have a Standard plan and all 3 products ( Jira SW, Jira SD, Jira Core ) Cloud.

the usage limits is 500 execution/month for each product? Or i can use all 1500 execution for just one product?

The counter of execution make differences between each products or could I use 700 execution/month for JSD and 800 for JSW ?

3 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2020

Hi @Dania Zaccara

It's 500 executions per month per product - so if you have Jira Software, Core and Jira Service Desk you should have 1500.

Jira Service Desk also retains its own automation rules at this stage (separate to the new native automation) - although this will change in the future according to this answer 

You can check how many executions you get per month. to check this you'll need to be a Jira Admin and then...

1. Go to Jira Admin Settings > System
  2. Select Automation Rules from the left-hand menu
  3. Select the Usage tab
  4. Your usage is in the left-hand box. Press View Details to see more information about how this is calculated based on a per-product basis.

As far as I know, you can use these rules anyway you wish across the products you own. Just remember this is only global rules - you have unlimited project-level rules!

See more on viewing usage here.

Ste

0 votes
Guaraci Nakamura May 17, 2022

Hi all. These 2 automations below have been consuming the "Executions" limit, and we would like to know if any of you have some recommendation to consume less.

Captura de tela 2022-05-17 105139.png

1. When a Story issue is created, a standard text is included in the "Description" field. The problem is consuming "Executions" for all created issues, including subtasks. PS: Initially I was wondering to create a new custom field with a standard text (e.g. "Description xxx"). However, I gave up this option because the project has some years and already has thousands of issues, so replace the current Description field to the new one would mass this fields once contains not only text but pictures, tables. 

Captura de tela 2022-05-17 104748.png

2. Attribute to the "Start Date" field the date when one of five types of issues are transitioned to "in progress" or "dev doing" status. The problem is consuming "Executions" for all created issues, including subtasks.

Captura de tela 2022-05-17 104200.png

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2022

Hi @Guaraci Nakamura 

Issue Created is what is causing the executions, and there's no way to limit this - the execution counts when the rule is triggered, and it's triggering for every Issue.

In Automation, you could consider:

• Global vs Project: The executions are counted for global or multi-Project rules. You could look to...
    • Limit the scope if it's not for all Projects, which will reduce the executions
    • Move the rule to a Project-level if it's only relevant for one Jira Project, because single Project rules are not counted towards your limit
  • Trigger: Consider an alternative trigger, albeit with a different behaviour:
    • Scheduled: 
      • Run the rule based on a time schedule (eg. every hour, but could be every minute)
      • Limit the executions using JQL - so you can limit it to just Stories with empty Descriptions

Beyond this, I would consider:

• Jira Premium: You get 1000 executions, per user, per month with Jira Premium - which can often be quite a lot more than Standard!
  • App: Consider if an App could assist with Issue Templating, if that's the only scenario. Check out options on the Marketplace

Let us know your thoughts!

Ste

Like Guaraci Nakamura likes this
Guaraci Nakamura May 20, 2022

Tks @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ !! it helped a lot.

My only question: how exaclty do I limit the executions to only Stories with empty description using JQL?

robin w June 28, 2022

Hey, I might have another suggestion:

Instead of using automation, you could use the "populate custom field" post transition funcion on all transitions where you want to set your start date (and "populate field" to set your description).

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-workflow-triggers/ for details:)

Also to answer your JQL question: The rule will execute once (or periodically, depending on your settings), performing an JQL search and then executing the rest of the workflow for each of the results. So you can modify multiple issues with only 1 automation execution. You need to change your trigger to "scheduled" instead of "issue created" for this. You can use something like "issuetype=Story AND description is empty".

Like Geoff Mether likes this
0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2021

Hi @Dania Zaccara  - Did you ever get this taken care of?

Suggest an answer