Jira Automation - Create new sprint with issue in it

Deleted user November 4, 2020

Hello,

Is someone can explain me if it's possible (and how to do) to create with jira automation a new sprint and create issue on it ?

Regards,

Adrien

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2020

Hi Adrien.

First go to your settings in your project and click automation tab. Now you can strat creating an automation rule. :)

The only thing I can think of affecting Sprints is the Branch Rule related Issue block. With that, you are able to run certain conditions for all issues in the sprint. You can imagine putting another block condition inside the Branch Rule block to affect certain issues on your sprint.

I am not sure that it would be the best fit for your need though. Could you describe us what you want to do more precisely please ? You might not need automation maybe.

Let us know ;)

Hi Flavien, thanks for your answer :)

My need is when i create a new sprint, i would like to create default issues in this new sprint.

Below my current test to set a sprint to the issue created in this automation, but i can't find the right parameter to set in Sprint field ...

2020-11-04 15_19_46-Project automation - JIRA.png

2020-11-04 15_19_58-Project automation - JIRA.png

Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2020

It seems that it is impossible to select the sprint you just created to put your new tasks.

To work this around, you can trigger the action on the start of the sprint. That way, it would create tasks when the sprint is started but it is not the original need.

Can it be enough to satisfy your need ?

Like # people like this

Great workaround thanks !

Deleted user November 19, 2020

Hi guys, seems to be I found the solution. 

Here an example. Just for your information :)

Screenshot_2.png

Like # people like this
Rudy Holtkamp October 27, 2022

You don't need to open the additional fields. You can use the smart value {{sprint.id}} in the sprint field.

image.png

Like # people like this
0 votes
Ankit Rawat June 8, 2023

@Rudy Holtkamp I created an automation using sprint.id field but getting an error, my sprint field is set to text , here is an example of my typical sprint name TEAMA SPRINT 88

error.JPGJira.JPG

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2023

Hi @Ankit Rawat ,

Your trigger is wrong. You should trigger on 'sprint created'.

If you trigger on issue created the smart value sprint.id is not filled.

Ankit Rawat June 8, 2023

Thanks @Rudy Holtkamp  for the quickest reply. I'm pasting my full rule, it does trigger once the sprint gets created

Sprint error.JPG

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2023

Sorry, then I misinterpreted the audit Log 

Could you log the smart value of the sprint and sprint id? I do not see any obvious mistakes in the rule.

But if Atlassian changed something, you might need to convert string.id to a number. {{string.id.asNumber}}

Ankit Rawat June 9, 2023

Here are the additional audit logs. Weird thing is, i created same automation rule for another project and it ran successfully. i checked the project configuration, both are configured the same way.

Tried with {{string.id.asNumber}} but no success either. Thanks again for looking into thisAdditional Logs.JPG

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2023

No problem.

You mentioned another project. Are both company managed projects? I've seen weird behavior with team managed projects.

You can see which project type you have below the 'projects settings' option.

Ankit Rawat June 9, 2023

@Rudy Holtkamp  Yes, another project managed by same jira server team with same configs. However, i was able to find a solve, looks like for the project where i was getting that error had permission issues, after i added my self as Sprint Admin, the automation worked. Thanks for your time!

Like Rudy Holtkamp likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events