Jira 4.4 release date?

Patrick Trigwell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 12, 2011

Hi Atlassian,

Apologies if you've been asked this question before recently (I can't see any indication of an answer)...

We have just begun to test upgrading our existing 3.13 to 4.3, though I notice 4.4-rc1 is out right now. This looks much more appealing than 4.3. Please can you let me know when Jira 4.4 will be formally released? If it is fairly soon it'll make sense for us to wait until then.

Kind regards,

Patrick Trigwell

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Cooper
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2011

Can't answer the actual Release Date question. But would recommend you upgrade to 4.3 first. Theres alot of of major changes between 3.13 and 4.3, and adding another on top in terms of 4.4 adds additional risk to the upgrade procedure.

You may even find that you are better off going to an earlier 4.x version, as may not be able to go direct to 4.4 anyway. The upgrade and installation has been overhauled in 4.4, but the new 'simple' upgrade route may only be availlable to 4.x installations. Nothing stopping you upgrading the 'old' way of course.

There have been other posts and options here about the best upgrade path, and personnaly I would prefer to upgrade incrementally, as if anything does go wrong, its much easier to troubleshoot.

Also it has to be said that recent first releases of major changes have not been as stable as would like and they are normally followed by some quick bug fix releases, so would hold off going direct to 4.4 for a production release until its had a chance to bed in. Obviously if have played in a sandpit and are happy with it then go for it. :)

6 votes
Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2011

JIRA 4.4 has now been released and can be downloaded from http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/JIRADownloadCenter.jspa or via my.atlassian.com.

2 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2011

We don't announce our release dates, as it's somewhat normal for us to find blockers or critical issues that we need to fix, so committing to release dates would actually be a disservice to users. Having said that, we're working on 98 day release cycles. We usually get a major version out about every three months, and we are trying for minor versions every couple weeks.

1 vote
TothJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2011

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events