JQL for Commented by user and commented date

Nikhil Singh June 19, 2020

Is there a way I can create Filter with the Commented By(or Updated by- but with Comment) specific list of users this week or day or month?

2 answers

8 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2020

Hi @Nikhil Singh 

This is not possible via standard Jira - but an app which enhances JQL search functions will be able to do this, such as Scriptrunner.

For example, if you're using Jira Server/DC, Scriptrunner's JQL would look like this:

issueFunction in commented("by user.name after 2020-01-01")

...or if you're on Jira Cloud:

commentedOn in ('2019-01-01','2019-12-31') AND commentedBy = currentuser()

Ste

Jan Dewald August 13, 2021

superbe, thanks!

Like # people like this
zwaluw 34
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 1, 2024

A heads up for this combination:

I have used the commentedby and commentedon in combination and found out that it does not return the issues I would expect.

JQL: 

commentedOn = '2024-03-26' AND commentedBy = currentUser()

This returns issues with comments on that date and those issues also have a comment from me.

This doesn't mean however that my comment is on that specific date!

So please be careful in using this combination because the result is different from what you might expect due to the fact that JQL's atomic data object is the issue, not the comment.

0 votes
Muhammad Ramzan(Atlassian Certified Master)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2020

You can achieve this using third party plugins, there are few available in market. I used ScriptRunner and JQL Search Extensions

Here is the example of JQL Search Extensions for Jira & reports 

You can use group

issue in commentedBetween("2018-05-26", "2018-07-01") and issue in commentedByUser("membersOf(employees)")

You can use single member

issue in commentedBetween("2018-05-26", "2018-07-01") and  issue in commentedByUser("filip")

Reference:

https://jqlsearchextensions.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SEARCH/pages/30497099/JQL+Reference+Server#JQLReference(Server)-Comments

Suggest an answer