It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JQL experts - how can I get a list of issues under an initiative?

*Scenario:* I have an initiative with 5 epics and a bunch of issues under each epic.

Is there any way I can use JQL to get a list of issues where the epic link of the issues is linked to a specific initiative?

Right now I am typing out the keys for all of the epics but it is always nice when there is a faster way. 

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alana Fernando Community Leader May 22, 2018

hi @Kat Warner {TechTime},

This is possible since portfolio 2.10.

issuekey in childIssuesOf("<Issue key>")

Reference:

Portfolio for Jira 2.10 release notes

Hope this helps! 

Legend! You have saved me so much time @Alana Fernando

Alana Fernando Community Leader May 22, 2018

Yei!!! Glad to hear @Kat Warner {TechTime} 😊

Hi ,

issuekey in childIssuesOf("<Issue key1>" , "<Issue key2>")

Gives me an error   "Function 'childIssuesOf' expected '1' arguments but received '2'." because the function wont take more than one argument. So how can i solve this.

You can only have one issue key (the key of the initiative) in this JQL. You could use OR and repeat the JQL for each initiative (I have not tested this myself).

The list of child issues does include the epics as well as the stories and tasks under the epics.

0 votes
Answer accepted

And for those of us on cloud, where the above childIssuesOf function does not work...

issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf("<issuekey>")

That will return all issues that parent back to the initiative issue key listed.  YEAH!

Thanks for adding the Jira Cloud version. :)

Like Abel Lineberger likes this

thanks a lot but I have got a couple more questions: 

1- I cannot find the reverse function, ie. something called "portfolioParentIssuesOf(""), does it exist? How can we obtain the same effect if it does not?

2- does the portfolioChildIssueOf accept a subquery as argument? 

would greatly appreciate any answer.

1 - A given issue can only have a singular parent - thus no function to search. 

2 - no idea.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

261 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you