JQL experts - how can I get a list of issues under an initiative?

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 22, 2018

*Scenario:* I have an initiative with 5 epics and a bunch of issues under each epic.

Is there any way I can use JQL to get a list of issues where the epic link of the issues is linked to a specific initiative?

Right now I am typing out the keys for all of the epics but it is always nice when there is a faster way. 

2 answers

2 accepted

16 votes
Answer accepted
Abel Lineberger March 18, 2019

And for those of us on cloud, where the above childIssuesOf function does not work...

issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf("<issuekey>")

That will return all issues that parent back to the initiative issue key listed.  YEAH!

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 18, 2019

Thanks for adding the Jira Cloud version. :)

Like # people like this
gianfranco franceschi June 4, 2019

thanks a lot but I have got a couple more questions: 

1- I cannot find the reverse function, ie. something called "portfolioParentIssuesOf(""), does it exist? How can we obtain the same effect if it does not?

2- does the portfolioChildIssueOf accept a subquery as argument? 

would greatly appreciate any answer.

Like dbates likes this
Abel Lineberger October 15, 2019

1 - A given issue can only have a singular parent - thus no function to search. 

2 - no idea.

Jeremy Grech Marguerat August 23, 2023
issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf("<issuekey>")

This works, Thanks :)

bilyana_karayaneva September 28, 2023

Hi all, I am trying to use this one to create a filter for All issues under multiple Initiatives, but the OR does not work. Any ideas? Thanks 

Abel Lineberger September 28, 2023

You should be able to list multiple issuekeys (comma separated) within the parentheses using the same query.  Let me test that.

Nevermind, that function only expects one argument...

Like bilyana_karayaneva likes this
Abel Lineberger September 28, 2023

You need to get more parenthetical:

(issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf("issuekey")) OR (issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf("issuekey"))

You should be able to continue to add 

OR (issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf("issuekey")) 

for as many iterations as necessary....  though I imagine there is a limit somewhere...

bilyana_karayaneva September 28, 2023

Hi Abel,

Thanks a lot, that is how I "workarounded" it. Much appreciated, worked now.

charles Serhal October 27, 2023

Hello @bilyana_karayaneva you can also use this method: 

issuekey in (portfolioChildIssuesOf("issuekey1"),portfolioChildIssuesOf("issuekey2"))

This should work the same as the OR and will provide you with all the child issues of the initiatives. I find this works better than the OR as it is more concise. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2018

hi @Kat Warner,

This is possible since portfolio 2.10.

issuekey in childIssuesOf("<Issue key>")

Reference:

Portfolio for Jira 2.10 release notes

Hope this helps! 

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
May 22, 2018

Legend! You have saved me so much time @Alana Fernando

Alana Fernando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2018

Yei!!! Glad to hear @Kat Warner 😊

Anilkumar B July 9, 2018

Hi ,

issuekey in childIssuesOf("<Issue key1>" , "<Issue key2>")

Gives me an error   "Function 'childIssuesOf' expected '1' arguments but received '2'." because the function wont take more than one argument. So how can i solve this.

Like bilyana_karayaneva likes this
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
July 15, 2018

You can only have one issue key (the key of the initiative) in this JQL. You could use OR and repeat the JQL for each initiative (I have not tested this myself).

The list of child issues does include the epics as well as the stories and tasks under the epics.

Like Vera Osmantseva likes this
Sidharth Kapoor March 29, 2021

Thank you Alana - saved me so much time and effort!

Paul Harapiak
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 23, 2024

The function portfolioChildIssuesOf is only available to Jira Premium users, according to the JQL error I get when I try to use it.

Suggest an answer