JQL: Search for all issues without associated epics

Emanuel Braga February 17, 2020

Hi,

I'm trying to create a filter that returns all the issues with no epic associated.

I've searched and tried '"Epic Link" = EMPTY order by created DESC' but it does not return any results, wich is not correct because there are many issues without an associated epic .

I don't know if it is relevant but I'm using only next-gen projects.

Thanks in advance!

7 answers

1 accepted

12 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 5, 2020

In next-gen projects it's the parent field that points to the epic.  This returns the issues without epics:

parent is empty
Emanuel Braga March 5, 2020

It works! Thanks a lot!

Alyson Murphy February 1, 2021

This does not work for me. Included in the results are many items that do have an epic. 

Lori Mendoza June 25, 2021

To get a list of just the tickets without epics, I added "AND type not in (Epic), otherwise I got all the tickets without Epics along with all the Epic tickets.

parent is EMPTY AND type not in (Epic)

3 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2020

Well for Classic it would be Epic Link is Empty. But for NG you can’t use that as the epic link is empty for all issues. Odd I know. They are working on a solution last time I checked. 

Emanuel Braga February 18, 2020

Thanks! NG projects are good but it seems that are far from being completed. It's a pity.

We will have to wait for the solution....

2 votes
David Madison October 18, 2022

On our Jira (v8.20.10) it had been renamed "Epic Link" as Siddharth mentioned, but the 'is' did not work, so my final search was:

project = <MYPROJECTNAMEHERE> AND type = Story AND "Epic Link" = EMPTY

Mauricio Borges March 2, 2023

Worked for me

0 votes
Jayadev BS April 9, 2023
The best I explored is: 

"Epic Link" = EMPTY AND type != Epic 
0 votes
Jaime Basco September 22, 2022

how can i filter the tasks in an epic that do not have an epic link?

I have tried with this JQL but it doesn't give me results.

project = "BSAN­ Implantacion SIREC ­ 20223.1" and "Epic Link" is EMPTY and issuetype =Task AND "Epic Name" ~ "Fase de Despligue"

0 votes
Siddharth Dalal September 7, 2022

None of the above worked. This is what worked for me:

"Epic Link" is EMPTY and type not in (Epic, Subtask, Sub-task)

0 votes
John Allen Rabalais February 23, 2022

Epiclink=null works for me.

Suggest an answer