JIRA not firing "Issue Commented" on incomming mail

B_ Normann P_ Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2013

I have a customer where "Default Notification Scheme" is on a project, and he has relayed these observations:

1. Default Notification Scheme applied to a project

2. Mailing into the project (catching a mail) with any attachment (this can be a real attachment or just some image from the auto-signature): this triggers "Issued Updated" and NOT "Issue Commented" (expected: both triggers). The mail does appear as a comment afterwards.

3. Mailing into the project (catching a mail) without an attachment: this triggers "Issued Commented" as expected

The customer has tested with different types of attachments and tested with their one Notification scheme also - same behavior."

I would assume that on point 1 - both triggers should fire?

BR,

Normann

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
B_ Normann P_ Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2013

Well Closed. Atlassian has comfirmed that only one trigger fires; and that a picked up mail with an attachment fires "Issue Updated", and not "Issue Commented", although the mail is added as a comment.

Notice, this also affects Listners from the toolkit (Auto Transition Listener)

Jason Turner
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2014

I hope Atlassian fixes this. Jira is chatty by nature sending emails for every little thing and depending on how the issue was updated could send multiple emails. In an effort to make Jira less chatty I made a custom scheme that only notified users when the issue was commented. Works great if all you do is add comments. If you change a field and also add comments no notification.

Come on Atlassian, help us help you, please provide better (more granular) notification controls.

Karsten Thygesen June 9, 2014

I totally agree, JIRA is a great tool, but as You say "chatty by nature" ....

I for sure would like the "Issue commented" / "Issue updated" woking more correct regarding to mail - and the possibility to have a choice to send or not send email.

A "bypass" can be making 2 transitions, where one of them are restricted to group/roles and sends out no notification when updating an issue.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2013

Ah, no, Jira only fires one event per change to an issue.

When you're attaching a file, that's an issue update. If you just make a comment, then that comes out as a comment. Generally, comments are relegated/ignored because the other activity is more important (transition, edit, resolve etc - comments can often be made during them, but are not as important as the main change, so Jira prefers the change entry)

I can see the confusion on this one, I've never noticed it myself. My usual complaint about the "several changes, one event fired" problem is when the assignee is edited in an edit screen or transition - comes out as an "update"/"transtition X", when it's pretty clear that we need both that and "assigned"

Normann P_ Nielsen _Netic_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2013

Thanks, I belive most common is to have same notification list for "Issue Commented" and "Issue Updated" - as both states an changed event for the issue...

B_ Normann P_ Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 13, 2013

Hi Nic,

This is actually getting a bit more interesting as Atlassian has confirmed, that catching a mail with an attachment fires "Issue Updated", but not "Issue Commented" - although a comment is created.

As my customer points out, what is the effect on the AutoTransition Listner from the Toolkit...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2013

Yes, that's roughly what I said - it fires one event per issue, and tends to prefer the more informational one over "issue commented"

Suggest an answer