JIRA->HipChat Authorization, 'Unable to generate an authorization code: Error sending request: 400'

Tim Jackson June 14, 2016

When a user tries to create a room from our local JIRA instance to the cloud HipChat we are using, they are asked to confirm account access. (We host our JIRA and use web HipChat)

The dialog starts like this:

JIRA (local server) will be given limited access to your HipChat (web) group... then has a blue button "Grant access to JIRA.

After the user clicks the blue button they get the error in the title.  I can't figure out what rights I need to grant to make this work (as a site admin it works for me).  I have tried making the user an admin in HipChat, an admin in JIRA, I have double checked all JIRA permissions.  I am stumped.

Does anyone know what I need to do to make this work?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 vote
Scott Strmel September 16, 2016

It turned out to be fairly simple. One of the Atlassian engineers finally pointed us in the right direction. When the HipChat integration to JIRA was created, I had navigated to the ../plugins/servelet/hipchat/configure page using the fully qualified name of the JIRA server which was not the base url as defined in the JIRA application. Apparently this causes a problem with the authentication. I navigated to the page using the base URL removed the integration and recreated the integration. After that all was good. I hope this works for you.

Suchit Kharatmol July 18, 2017

Hi Scott,

We are also facing the same problem.Could you please share the detailed steps for resolving this error.

Appriciate your help!

Awaiting for your reply.

Thanks,

Suchit Kharatmol

Scott Strmel July 19, 2017

Login to JIRA. Select Administration->Applications->HipChat. The page should be <base url>/plugins/servlet/hipchat/configure. Verify that the <base url> in the link matches the Base URL defined in the JIRA system settings. If it matches remove and recreate the HipChat integration.

Suchit Kharatmol July 20, 2017

Hi Scott,

Thank you so much for your help! It is worked for me as expected.

Thanks,

Suchit Kharatmol

0 votes
Tommy Thomadsen September 18, 2016

That was indeed the problem. 

Thanks!

0 votes
Tommy Thomadsen September 16, 2016

We have the same problem. Did you by any chance resolve it, and could you share the solution?

Thanks!

Suggest an answer