JIRA-Studio Password-Validation via external Service-Call. Workaround the for missing LDAP-Feature?

Marten Prieß
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 3, 2011

Hi All,

I'm very interested in the JIRA-Studio Version, badfully the main feature of LDAP is missing. We are currently using an old self-hosted version auf JIRA and are now evaluation to switch to the Studio version. Without an alternative way to validate the users password on our site we can't switch to the Studio Version.

Has someone an idea/tip how we can figur it out? I'm thinking about a little hook or api call that checks during the login process not the user's password within JIRA-Studio - it should call something on our end (a webservice, api-call, ...) to validate the user's login. We can renounce for the feature of creating user by searching the ldap but we can't renounce the password-validation part. The main thing is that we don't want our users to remebers more then one password or need to sync both password (the one in our ldap and the other one for JIRA-Studio).

Maybe someone has a tip for me.

Kind regards

Marten

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2011

Unfortunately any kind of external authentication is not possible with Studio, as we can't allow Studio instances to trust external services or run any kind of custom code.

This is mainly for supportability reasons - we can only keep the vast farm of Studio instances running happily and reliably, and upgrading smoothly, if they all have no unknown external dependencies and are all running the same version of the code with no customisations. It's also a security risk for our servers to be trusting an external site.

Sorry :(

Suggest an answer