JIRA Server: How create a board for a Business Project?

Leo Epstein February 3, 2021

Hello,

For JIRA Server:

How create a board for a Business Project?

(like Kanban- or Scram-Boards)

Regards
Leo

2 answers

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021

Just create a board using existing filter or project but the trick is that you must associate the board to your profile NOT the project itself. You do this under the Location option when creating. Then you can add a shortcut to the board form the project sidebar.

Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021

To add to Jack, Jira Business Projects are part of Jira Core not Jira Software. Jira Software is what allows boards. If you want a board in the project itself you would need to change it to software: Project Administration -> Actions -> Change project type

Best,

Clark

Like Leo Epstein likes this

Thanks. Where can I do that? See below.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2021

Did you then click Create board button?

Yes. And what now?

Hello Clark,
Thanks.
If I create a Business Project, make there a lot of customizing and then "change project type", will I loose all customizing made?

Regards

Leo

Hello @Jack Brickey 

Should I have clicked something else?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2021

my question was if you click on the "Create board" button in the last image what are you presented with?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2021

edited

you aren't changing the project type. you are just creating a board correct?

@Jack Brickey 
I clicked

1. "Create Board"

2. "Board from an existing project"

3. gave the TEST name and left the project chosen inside

4. button "Create board".

Was ist OK?
What's now?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2021

yes that is fine. as far as what to do next my question is what are you presented with?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2021

does the board now exist in your project? If so is it what you want? If not what exactly is your goal?

Team-c4c February 8, 2021

@Jack Brickey 

No, it does not exist.

One again about my goal:

I have a Business Project which has no Board per default.

I want to have there a Kanban-Bord. How can I get it?

I have create the second Kanban-Board in a Kanban-Project, as you suggested. I can see this second Board in my Kanban-Project.

How can I move it to the Business Project?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

@Team-c4c , so i'm a bit confused. First if you have a Business project there should be a board. However, it is a default non-configurable board. Please share a screenshot of what you see when you go to the project. Please include the sidebar. Once I see that then we will move to the next steps of creating a configurable kanban board. 

You talk about moving a board you create to your business project. You can't 'replace' the default board or 'move' the board to your business project. BUT you can add a shortcut to the board and give it a name like "The REAL Board". You do this by clicking on "+ Add item" link in the sidebar of your project and paste in the URL. Then when you or others in the project go to the project they can click on "The REAL Board" and they will be redirected to the board.

Leo Epstein February 8, 2021

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

@Jack Brickey I cannot see a Board. Can you?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2021

ah. ok so...I see you are on Server (?) and I see that is in fact in the title of your post but I was confused because this post is labeled under Cloud deployment plan. DOH!

So ... forget what I said as it was all cloud based. :-(

now I see you have a link icon for project shortcuts. I am wondering if you can add a shortcut to the board you indicated you created and if so will that meet your needs?

Leo Epstein February 9, 2021

@Jack Brickey 

Thank you!

I played a little around, and the new Kanban Board made in the Kanban Project shows now the issues of the Business Project:

- Board Configuration. General

- Saved Filter. Edit Filter Query

- Shares. Edit Filter Shares

QUESTION:

Yes, I have a link icon for project shortcuts, but how or where can I add the link to the new Board into there?
I cannot see this option under Project Settings:

image.png

I believe I found:

image.png

Add Link:

image.png

Yes, it works!
Thank you!!!!

0 votes