JIRA 7 migration hub

Does anyone else find the JIRA 7 Migration Hub absolutely useless?

It doesn't provide a migration path.

We use JIRA 6.4 for software development, does that mean we upgrade to JIRA Software?

No, somewhere else it say's that's only for JIRA Agile.

So does JIRA Core include all the functionality of JIRA 6.4?

Seems like Migration Hub has useless and is mostly a Marketing page, not an Information page.

2 answers

2 votes

This is not quite true, but the way to think of it is:

JIRA Core = JIRA

JIRA Software = JIRA + Agile

JIRA Service Desk = JIRA + Service Desk

The main question is not what you're using JIRA for, but how.  If you're using Agile, then you need to go to JIRA Software.  If you're not, then no, you can just use JIRA Core.

2 votes
Loren Siegel Atlassian Team Dec 22, 2015

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the JIRA 7 Migration Hub. I'm sorry to hear you are not satisfied with the information provided on the Hub. I'm happy to answer your questions below. 

We use JIRA 6.4 for software development, does that mean we upgrade to JIRA Software?No, somewhere else it say's that's only for JIRA Agile. 

If you are using JIRA and JIRA Agile for software development, you will want to upgrade to JIRA Software. As an existing customer, if your JIRA license is under active maintenance as of Oct. 6th, 2015, you are eligible to move to JIRA Software at no additional cost. Your existing license key with active maintence will work with JIRA Software. When it comes time to renew support, you will simply renew your JIRA license as JIRA Software as JIRA Agile is already built into the product. The only difference you'll see is that your renewal quote will now only have one license, JIRA Software, instead of two.

So does JIRA Core include all the functionality of JIRA 6.4?

JIRA Core is our new purpose-built offering for business teams. The majority of business teams do not need the software specific features of JIRA Software. Thus, they've been removed. If you're familiar with JIRA today, the features that have been removed to simply the business user experience are:

* Development tools integration panel (released in JIRA 6.3)
* Releases tab (from JIRA 6.4)
* JIRA Core will still have all the existing Versions functionality
* Automatic issue transitions (from JIRA 6.3)
* Builds, Source, and Reviews project tabs
* Software development project templates
* Roadmap gadget
* Roadmap project tab

Hope this explains! 

Cheers,

Loren
Atlasisan Customer Advocate 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,815 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot