Issue Deletion Permissions based on Issue Type?

Jason Moerbe June 24, 2014

Is it possible to give users permissions to only be able to delete a certain issue type? (ie - can delete bugs, but not stories....)

2 answers

2 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2014

Jason,

You can achieve this my creating different workflows (e.g. one for bugs and one for stories). In the Bugs Workflow you leave it as it is, and the Stories Workflow you can set properties on the steps as per this blog post in order to remove the permission to delete the issues.

That is, you'd need to add a jira.permission.delete.denied = denied property to all the steps in the Stories Workflow as per this documentation. Alternatively, you can use jira.permission.delete.group = jira-administrators for example so that only admins can delete issues.

It's a bit of work, but it's certainly possible. :)

Jason Moerbe June 24, 2014

Thanks for the input.

Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2014

Anytime. Let me know if you need any further help with this. :)

Manish V August 17, 2020

Hi Matheus,

Works perfectly.
Out of 6 issue types in a project, I had to allow reporters to delete their own issues (For Four Issue types) and no users other than Jira-Admins should have the permission to delete the other two issue types.
So just like you suggested, I provided the "Delete Issue" permission to the "Reporters" in the Permission Scheme of the project and added those properties for each state in  the workflow of the two issue types.
Thank You Very Much!

Best Regards,
Manish

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2014

Not really, permissions (such as delete) are project level items, not issue-type

Suggest an answer