Is there a way to have jira start up on a delay?

Ben S December 1, 2011

Is there a way to have jira start up on a delay? We're running jira on Windows Server 2003 and there are a few applications that are restarting at the same time on this machine. I guess what I'm wondering is if there's a way to enter a delay within the jira start-up process (from the logs it seems like some of the plugins are timing out).

UPDATE: I'm no longer certain I'm having a problem with start up. The other day I had a lock-out issue, which isn't suprising because every other week we get an error message about plugins not being loaded that prevents users from being able to login, so I assumed it was a start-up issue (the server we're running no 'unexpectedly' restarts every other week). In this case, something happened around 9:30 am, and then at 4:30pm someone tried to go in and got the lock-out message. I think I need to do some more investigating, but below is part of the log file. (Is there a better alternative than cutting and pasting?) 2011-11-30 09:29:07,468 main INFO [atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] Running JIRA startup checks. 2011-11-30 09:29:07,843 main INFO [atlassian.jira.startup.JiraHomeStartupCheck] The jira.home directory 'C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA' is validated and locked for exclusive use by this instance. 2011-11-30 09:29:08,734 main INFO [atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] JIRA startup checks completed successfully. 2011-11-30 09:29:08,781 main INFO [atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] Database configuration OK ___ Database Configuration ________________ ... 2011-11-30 09:29:34,066 main INFO [atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] ___ Starting the JIRA Plugin System _________________ 2011-11-30 09:29:34,066 main INFO [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] Initialising the plugin system 2011-11-30 09:30:03,660 main INFO [atlassian.plugin.loaders.ScanningPluginLoader] Plugin Unit: C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\plugins\.bundled-plugins\applinks-plugin-3.3.jar (1305873892000) created 2011-11-30 09:30:03,739 main INFO [atlassian.plugin.loaders.ScanningPluginLoader] Plugin Unit: C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\plugins\.bundled-plugins\atlassian-gadgets-dashboard-plugin-3.0.2.jar (1305873894000) created [...] 2011-11-30 09:31:29,128 Timer-1 WARN [internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor] Timeout occurred before finding service dependencies for [NonValidatingOsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext(bundle=com.atlassian.gadgets.oauth.serviceprovider, config=osgibundle:/META-INF/spring/*.xml)] 2011-11-30 09:31:29,144 Timer-1 ERROR [internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor] Unable to create application context for [com.atlassian.gadgets.oauth.serviceprovider], unsatisfied dependencies: Dependency on [(objectClass=com.atlassian.gadgets.spec.GadgetSpecFactory)] (from bean [&gadgetSpecFactory]), Dependency on [(objectClass=com.atlassian.gadgets.GadgetRequestContextFactory)] (from bean [&gadgetRequestContextFactory]) org.springframework.context.ApplicationContextException: Application context initialization for 'com.atlassian.gadgets.oauth.serviceprovider' has timed out at org.springframework.osgi.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.timeout(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:454) at org.springframework.osgi.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.access$000(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:50) at org.springframework.osgi.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor$WatchDogTask.run(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:105) at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:512) at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:462) 2011-11-30 09:31:29,144 Timer-1 ERROR [plugin.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Never resolved service '&gadgetSpecFactory' for plugin 'com.atlassian.gadgets.oauth.serviceprovider' with filter (objectClass=com.atlassian.gadgets.spec.GadgetSpecFactory) 2011-11-30 09:31:29,144 Timer-1 ERROR [plugin.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Never resolved service '&gadgetRequestContextFactory' for plugin 'com.atlassian.gadgets.oauth.serviceprovider' with filter (objectClass=com.atlassian.gadgets.GadgetRequestContextFactory) 2011-11-30 09:31:29,144 Timer-1 ERROR [plugin.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Unable to start the Spring context for plugin com.atlassian.gadgets.oauth.serviceprovider org.springframework.context.ApplicationContextException: Application context initialization for 'com.atlassian.gadgets.oauth.serviceprovider' has timed out at org.springframework.osgi.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.timeout(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:454) at org.springframework.osgi.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.access$000(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:50) at org.springframework.osgi.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor$WatchDogTask.run(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:105) at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:512) at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:462) 2011-11-30 09:31:29,144 Timer-1 ERROR [extender.internal.activator.ContextLoaderListener] Application context refresh failed (NonValidatingOsgiBundleXmlApplicationContext(bundle=com.atlassian.gadgets.oauth.serviceprovider, config=osgibundle:/META-INF/spring/*.xml)) org.springframework.context.ApplicationContextException: Application context initialization for 'com.atlassian.gadgets.oauth.serviceprovider' has timed out at org.springframework.osgi.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.timeout(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:454) at org.springframework.osgi.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.access$000(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:50) at org.springframework.osgi.extender.internal.dependencies.startup.DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor$WatchDogTask.run(DependencyWaiterApplicationContextExecutor.java:105) at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:512) at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:462)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2011

I'm guessing you're running jira as a service? If so you could make it dependent on some other service, eg your database service if you're running it on the same machine.

Otherwise you could make it dependent on the last service likely to start, and I have no idea what that might be.

Not really sure what you mean by plugin timing out (do you mean jira fails to load them within 30s?), a log extract would be helpful.

Ben S December 12, 2011

Thanks, I'll try the dependancy angle.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events