Is there a way to create multiple label custom fields that share the same "label namespace"?

Ray Ramadorai November 14, 2013

I am looking for a way to create multiple custom label fields that access the same set of labels. For example:

* Serial Number(s) Requested

* Serial Number(s) Received

Both of these fields should autocomplete from the same set of labels, i.e. the set of serial numbers that exist.

Is there any way to do this?

Another related question is, can "aliases" be created for a label field? For example, if I want to refer to a given label custom field by one name in screen X and a different name in screen Y, but use the same set of labels in both contexts.

Thanks very much.

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2013

Not natively. The point of each label field is that they are separate, and generally, if you need the same lists, you use the same field.

I suspect you'll need to do some coding to achive this.

For the second question, again, coding is the only way to address it, but I actually suspect it's a dreadful idea because the whole point of a label is to use the SAME word to tie together things that are generally unrelated in any other way.

Ray Ramadorai November 14, 2013

Thanks for the response. There are definitely cases that this is useful, where you want to capture a tag and allow it be be reused in other contexts. I may need to refer to the same "thing"/token with different intentions. Either of the above addresses this, though I agree that the second is a bit hacky.

Any suggestions on where to start if I were to do some coding to address this? I guess I could make N fields, one for each use of the common label, and have some hook to replicate the label to each of the N-1 fields when it is added to one. This obviously sounds like a really bad idea though, hard to maintain and ensure consistency.

Any thoughts on a more graceful alternative?

0 votes
Ray Ramadorai December 8, 2013

Trying to close this question.

Alice N Brough December 8, 2013

You have to accept an answer as correct to "close" a question.

(My answer was 90% of what you needed, sorry I didn't manage to follow up with "no, sorry, there are no graceful alternaties, you need to write code")

0 votes
Ray Ramadorai December 1, 2013

The answer appears to be "no".

Suggest an answer