Is there a way to count the number of "Reopened" tickets in a JIRA project?

We have a lot of resolved issues fail QA testing and the status changed to "Reopened". I would like to know how to count the number of Reopened tickets.

9 answers

1 accepted

Does anyone have any statistics showing average defect fix failure rates?

What I mean by "defect fix failure" is a JIRA issue that is resolved by software develops and subsequently fails QA testing (JIRA status is changed to "Resolved" by development and then changed to "Reopened" by QA)

I'm wondering what the industry average is, or what other people are experiencing? What is a good defect fix failure rate (2%, 5%, 10%, 20%, etc.)?

What, are you trying to revenge on developers ? Mine is below 2% mark. A large number of defects fix failure rate means that:

1) You do not have unit-tests OR

2) You do not have integration tests OR

3) You do not use continuous integration (see bamboo) OR

4) Your test coverage is below 30 % (see clover) OR

5) Your work env is so stressful (managers using get things done philosophy) that speed is more important than quality OR .....

-- insert lots of reasons like the above here ---

Hi,

You can use andvanced search and JIRA Query Language (JQL)

'status was reopened'

P.S. works for Jira v5.0 for sure

This doesn't account for the number of times one issue WAS reopened only that it had been reopened. Its better than nothing, but I've known times where an issue has been reopened several times.

This worked for me:

reporter = currentUser() AND status was Reopened order by created DESC

1 votes

Combine the above with WAS.

The above would only work depending on the version of JIRA. I think the WAS JQL feature was introduced in 4.3. Prior to that, you couldn't do an historical JQL search.

I use an SQL query for this:

SELECT
        DATE_FORMAT(max(cg.created),"%d-%m") reopened
        , CONCAT("QC-", issuenum) issue
        , it.pname "type"
        , SUBSTRING(summary,1,40) summary
        , IFNULL(assignee,"") assignee
        , ist.pname "current status"
        , IFNULL(DATE_FORMAT(resolutiondate,"%d-%m"),"") "resolved"
        , DATE_FORMAT(max(updated),"%d-%m") "updated"
      , IF(count(issuenum)>1,concat(count(issuenum),"x"),"") "count"
FROM changeitem ci
JOIN changegroup cg ON ci.groupid = cg.ID
JOIN jiraissue i ON i.id = cg.issueid
JOIN issuetype it ON i.issuetype = it.ID
JOIN issuestatus ist ON i.issuestatus = ist.ID
WHERE NEWSTRING = "Reopened"
GROUP BY issuenum
ORDER BY max(cg.created) DESC
;

which results in something like:

+----------+--------+-----------+------------------------------------------+----------+----------------+----------+---------+-------+
| reopened | issue  | type      | summary                                  | assignee | current status | resolved | updated | count |
+----------+--------+-----------+------------------------------------------+----------+----------------+----------+---------+-------+
| 22-05    | QC-23  | Bug       | Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet               | peter    | Reopened       |          | 22-05   | 2x    |
| 22-05    | QC-89  | Bug       | Fusce luctus faucibus est, at consect    | amy      | Reopened       |          | 22-05   | 2x    |
| 22-05    | QC-134 | Bug       | Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet               | amy      | Reopened       |          | 22-05   |       |
| 22-05    | QC-132 | Bug       | Fusce luctus faucibus est, at consect    | amy      | Reopened       |          | 22-05   |       |
| 22-05    | QC-69  | Bug       | Sed dapibus in eros et pellentesque      | peter    | Reopened       |          | 22-05   | 2x    |
| 22-05    | QC-91  | Bug       | Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet               | amy      | Reopened       |          | 22-05   |       |
| 22-05    | QC-104 | Bug       | Fusce luctus faucibus est, at consect    | peter    | Closed         | 22-05    | 22-05   |       |

You mean using a filter like this ?

project = MYPRJ and status in ("Reopened" )

Page will show:

Displaying issues 1 to 3 of 3 matching issues

bla bla issues here ?

Just those in the Re-open state right now or those issues which have been re-opened at some point in it's life? WHat about multiple re-opens on one issue? Also, what version of Jira?

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my question.

What I meant was, I need a count of all issues which have been Reopened at some point in their life (not just those currently in Reopened status). Issues may currently be Fixed, Closed, etc., but were Reopened at some point.

Thanks.

That does it!

Thanks much!

Thank you Yuriy Chepelyuk,

Your anwsers is so helpful to me.

I have to count number of reopened defects for measurement objective and your query help me save a lot effort for it.

where is that query please?

is this: ?

project = MYPRJ and status in ("Reopened" )

Praveen N I'm New Here Sep 23, 2017

Where is the query ..??

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,092 views 13 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot