Is there a way to avoid the "No Links" grouping in Jira Structure?

Bernie Wu March 28, 2023

Hello,

The following is the way our Structure is set up:

Feature
--> "derivation is" Story

For each Feature, 1 team drives the Feature and usually has most of the Stories underneath. But some Features require the help of other Teams, so we may have multiple Teams working the Feature.

What I'm trying to do is show all of the Features that a Team is working on in the current Release (fix version), regardless of whether they are driving that Feature or not.

So if I use ScriptRunner to grab all of the Stories in the current Release and then Group by "Issue Links...", that works just fine for 90% of the view. However, there are some cases where, for a specific Team, the Feature shows up under a No Links group.

Example:

Team A owns Feature 1.
Feature 1 has Stories for Team A and Team B.
Team A finished all the Stories last Release but couldn't close out the Feature due to Team B not completing their Story.
So technically, Team A doesn't have any work this Release, but still needs to drive the Feature to completion.

So Structure is set up to use ScriptRunner to insert a bunch of Stories for current Release. If I don't do anything else and just Group by "Issue Links...", Team B will see the Feature, but Team A doesn't since they don't have any Stories for the current Release.

If I add another Insert to just add Features, now Team A will see the Feature, but it's underneath the No Links group.

Is there any way around this? What Structure is doing makes sense, but I'm wondering if there's a way to make this look cleaner without the No Links group automatically showing up.

Thanks,
Bernie

1 answer

0 votes
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 28, 2023

Hello @Bernie Wu ,

Welcome to the Community!

Could you share the generators you are using and how specifically they are set up?

Best,
David

Bernie Wu March 29, 2023

Hello @David Niro ,

Here is the general concept of the automation that I'm trying to use. I'm currently using issuefunction from ScriptRunner, but the problem exists without it, so I'll simplify the generators.

Group by Team

Group each issue under issue that derivation is it

Insert issues:
project = <myproject> and fixversion = earliestUnreleasedVersion() and issuetype = Story

• Intent here is to grab the stories so that I can group with linked issues to get the Feature.

The problem with the above is in the scenario that I mentioned where Team A finished their work for a Feature in a previous Release and so they have no Stories assigned in the current Release, so the Feature doesn't show up for them to track.

If I add another Insert to grab the Features in the current Release, that's when the No Links group comes out.

Group by Team

Group each issue under issue that derivation is it

Insert issues:
project = <myproject> and fixversion = earliestUnreleasedVersion() and issuetype = Feature

Insert issues:
project = <myproject> and fixversion = earliestUnreleasedVersion() and issuetype = Story

So now I see the structure:

Team
--> Feature
-->--> Story
--> No Links
-->--> Feature

And in many cases, which I have not been able to figure out why yet, Features will show up in both the "correct" spot AND under No Links.

Don't know if that's helpful or not.

Thanks,
Bernie

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 7, 2023

Hello @Bernie Wu ,

What level is your group for "Group each issue under issue that derivation is it" set to?

If it is set to "all levels", this may explain the problem.  It would be trying to group things where the relationship does not exist.

Please check and adjust the level to match the one the issues you want to group by are located on.

I hope this helps!

Best,
David

Bernie Wu April 11, 2023

Hi @David Niro ,

That didn't seem to help, or maybe I didn't know how to properly use it. I think the ultimate issue is that I can't bring in issues with no children as the grouping will ultimately create the No Links. So I think the only thing I can do is to figure out how to filter it out with a column or something. 

Suggest an answer