Is there a way in Jira to set a property to a project, and use it as an issue filter?

palbert337 June 3, 2011

Is there a way in Jira to set a property to a project, and use it as an issue filter ? (e.g. setting a state project property to Active project, Sleeping project, ... , and display only issues related to "Active" projects)

4 answers

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2011

The closest you can get without a plugin is inventive use of project Categories. We use them for sorting projects into business units, and have "fake" business units like "Archived projects", "Projects awaiting deletion" and so-on.

The weakness of this is that when we archive a project, we lose the information about the actual business unit, because categories are single-select and a project can only belong to one category.

On the bright side, you can search on them in Jira 4.x - the advanced search does allow you to say "category = xxx". But you can't display the category without more code (I scribbled a solution for this for V3 and it mostly works for v4 too if you decide to go this way)

Alvaro DAlessandro October 19, 2011

Hello Nic, THis solution you mention to have scribbled may seem to help with a question I posted earleir: I'd like to have a way of - when creating an issue- have it filetered according to the category to which the project belongs to... Can you help me on this ?

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2011

This is not available in standard JIRA. Check out the open issue JRA-2639 .

This plugin https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugin/details/35576 seems to support it but you can't use filters against it.

0 votes
Alvaro DAlessandro October 19, 2011

I need something related, but applied to the moment of the issue's creation: I need to have a way of "filtering", so when I'm about to create an issue, JIRA applies a filter based on the category to which the project belongs to... Please reply if you figure a way of doing this, or if you have access to any class/method that could be of assistance!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2011

The closest you can get without a plugin is inventive use of project Categories. We use them for sorting projects into business units, and have "fake" business units like "Archived projects", "Projects awaiting deletion" and so-on.

The weakness of this is that when we archive a project, we lose the information about the actual business unit, because categories are single-select and a project can only belong to one category.

On the bright side, you can search on them in Jira 4.x - the advanced search does allow you to say "category = xxx". But you can't display the category without more code (I scribbled a solution for this for V3 and it mostly works for v4 too if you decide to go this way)

Suggest an answer