Is there a Jira Windows app?

Salman Sulthan August 24, 2018

Is there a Jira Windows app?

7 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

69 votes
Josh Lyon August 9, 2019

Just use the Create Shortcut feature in Chrome and tell it to open as a Window.

1. Open your Jira instance in Chrome
  2. Tap the ... menu in Chrome
  3. Select More Tools → Create Shortcut
  4. Check the box for 'Open as Window' to have it open like an app

Then you can add it to your Start Menu or Task Bar like a normal app (second to the last one)

image.png

And it opens like an app:

image.png

Mike Backhouse August 20, 2019

That's great thank you @Josh Lyon ! I've been using Jira for almost 2 years and been looking for a solution all that time

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the icon shown in the taskbar? Just to help differentiate between Chrome and Jira (It doesnt even have to be the official Jira logo)

Like # people like this
Abhishek Shukla August 27, 2019
  1. Pin the shortcut, you just created, to the taskbar.
  2. Close the "app".
  3. Hold down Shift and right-click on the pinned taskbar shortcut to show the regular explorer context menu.
  4. Click Properties.
  5. Under Shortcut, click the Change Icon button and pick an icon of your choice.

Ideally, Chrome gets the site's `favico.ico` and applies it as the shortcut's icon.

Like # people like this
Lorena February 27, 2020

I can't get it to work. I can save the shortcut, pin it, and change the icon, but once I close the Jira app is "gone". Clicking on the newly created shortcut opens up a new instance of Chrome. Nothing more...

Any tips?

Ciaran McCloskey April 26, 2020

Outstanding!

Thanks for that tip. I tried it in the Blisk browser first and it didn't work but when I switched to Chrome, it worked a treat.

lee_bartelme June 4, 2020

Lorena I had the same issue because I had an existing Chrome shortcut in my taskbar. I removed the Chrome shortcut, added Jira, and then added Chrome back and it worked.

Lorena June 5, 2020

@lee_bartelme Ah! I definitely have Jira shortcuts. I'll try that, thanks!

Oliver Cumming July 7, 2020

That's not a windows app.

Like # people like this
日本アタウェイ September 6, 2020

Perhaps not, but it may be addressing what the poster was trying to get.

More to the point, a very large number of Windows, Android, and iOS apps are simply wrappers around web apps.  

Sasino February 11, 2021

We need a standalone Desktop / Win10 App because WEB IS SLOW!

I want something that when I click, stuff opens instantly; it's annoying having to wait the page to load when you navigate! Why don't developers understand that?

Like # people like this
Dmitri Toubelis March 17, 2021

The browser is extremely slow when managing a large project. The native application should be able to manage resources more efficiently. For instance, the native Mac App has much better responsiveness but most of the people in our company use windows and there is no windows app.

There is an open-source jiraclient but project but it is unofficial and comes with no guaranty or any support.

Like # people like this
Edd yarborough July 21, 2021

Works a treat.

Thank you!

Ibrahim Ghalghay August 12, 2021

very strange!!

The answer and its replies, moved the subject from "Jira windows application" into Chrome shortcut and icon!!! instead of saying: "No, there is no app for windows till now"

regards;

Like # people like this
Kate Wood March 27, 2022

And also...seriously? The Android app makes Jira functional, but who can type on that? I do think there's still room for a Windows app. Nicely spotted, @Ibrahim. :)

Like # people like this
8 votes
Marie Maresh March 17, 2021

This is one of the reasons we stopped using Jira; It's inconvenient on a PC. When you have to go to a site, login and wait, my team ends up getting sidetracked with another project/ask. We miss things. I'm not sure why they can't build out a desktop app for Windows since they have ios and Android. 

Joe Jankowiak May 12, 2021

Yeah I dont get how they still don't have a windows app considering every other platform has it. I'd assuming windows is a very large part of their consumer base. Really limiting for me to switch the rest of our employees over to using confluence instead of Onenote. They want an app to open, not to go to a bookmark in chrome or to pin a chrome tab to the start bar. 

Like David Hansen likes this
Jason Long May 15, 2021

This is a large reason why we're using Notion instead of Confluence.

Like # people like this
Nick Giglio October 8, 2021

@Jason Long Looking at doing the same.  I have found I spend more time waiting for tasks and drop downs to load in Jira than I do using the product and its native limitations w/o addons are incredibly limiting...  And Confluence is even slower.  Just need to verify a proper audit trail and release plan in Notion or Coda and we can leave.

Like Ibrahim Ghalghay likes this
Fred Dewey November 1, 2021

And I use the BigPicture app for managing projects through a Gantt chart lens and it is also very slow, and there is a big delay between when you make a change to a task or issue and when it shows up in the BigPicture view.  Confluence does not seem like it is ready for prime time hard core Project Managers.  Feels like a toy in some ways.

7 votes
Dean Grande March 12, 2020

The Jira (by atlassian) app for Mac has some great benefits over the Chrome website and also some limitations.  

The upshot is that an app is faster and better for real time team communications as issues evolve.  However, the app has bugs and limitations, so it's FAR from perfect.  

Benefits:

* Speed.  navigating between issues, checking status, etc is MUCH faster than web.  This is a huge deal and I love the app because of this.  

* Notifications.  You get proper notifications to Mac OS when issue status changes

* Commenting.  It's very strong a commenting and it makes every issue feel like a slack channel.  Ie. by clicking on an app notification

Limitations:

* Issue editing.  Not all the options are there.  

* There is a major but (currently) with editing the description of an issue which is a deal breaker 

* Work Log.  It's not fast to use the worklog if you're entering a lot of data

Carlos Khatchikian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2020

Hey @Dean Grande , we already made a lot of fixes over issue editing... Check it out ;) 

felipe_rios October 13, 2020

@Carlos Khatchikian so there is NOT a windows app, only for Mac? It's still not clear

Like # people like this
Carlos Khatchikian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 15, 2020

Felipe, yes... no windows app for now. 

Like # people like this
Arnold Naval January 7, 2021

the post clearly specifies "windows app"

Like ilia kassianenko likes this
4 votes
Chuang Xu XC 徐闯 June 30, 2019

no,i dont found

3 votes
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2018
Rik Viergever December 9, 2020

thanks for this link, this desktop client by ALM works is amazing: much faster than the web version + all sorts of handy sort and filter options, + 2way sync!

I hope someone will start maintaining it again (Jira or ALM)

Here is another link to it: https://almworks.com/jiraclient/overview.html

1 vote
Scott Davenport March 23, 2022

If any of you are interested we are building a blazingly fast app for Jira and would love to have you on the journey to help us.  Our early users are loving the experience and we'd love your feedback.  You can sign up for the waitlist at https://japet.us there's been lots of interest but we will get you in very soon.

0 votes
CoinAmp January 11, 2023
Kate Wood January 11, 2023

Thanks for the suggestion, @CoinAmp , but this is a paid app that appears to have similar functionality to the Teams plugin. When you want to actually *do* something with a ticket, you still find yourself in the browser, clunking away. :)

CoinAmp February 15, 2023

An update has been released this app.
And most of the frequently used functionality is there, such as changing the status, working with comments and assigning to another user.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question