Is it safe to share my atlassian-jira.log file with 3rd party developers?

Jerry Bohun April 11, 2016

2 answers

0 votes
Jerry Bohun April 12, 2016

Hi Mario/Nic

Thanks for your answers. I think both of you are right but as a way forward I will be using build in tools within JIRA for Logging and Profiling. It allows you to mark the location in the log file from where you are interested in logged actions. You are also able to 'Log Rollover' so start your logs in fresh files.

Both functions will help you limit the shared data to the specific point in time or taken actions within JIRA.
Hiding all the sensitive data would be rather impossible.

Thanks

Jerry 

Mark Logs

Marking the logs during troubleshooting can be helpful for yourself and Atlassian Support. The mark will be applied to all the JIRA log files.

Optional Message:

An optional messge that will be written into the logs along with the mark.
Log Rollover
This will cause the logs to start in fresh new files

0 votes
Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2016

Hi Jerry, 

if you are restricted to privacy policies or you "feel unsafe" you should always obfuscate all hosts and names.

Cheers,
Mario 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2016

A log won't expose all your data, but if you're having problems, it may expose snippets as it logs things like "couldn't render field because of data corruption: <text with sensitive data in it> ".  Anyone reading the log will get host names, user login ids and patterns of activity and usage from it.

Suggest an answer