Is it possible to import CSV file into JIRA Server through PuTTY? if yes how

Arshia Awan February 6, 2018

I am trying to figure out how to import CSV file using PuTTY. I have access to the PuTTY , but not sure how to import the CSV file securely using Linux. we are in process of mitigating new project into our server. Its my first time with PuTTY and JIRA and any help will be appreciated.

4 answers

1 vote
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2018

Dear @Arshia Awan,

PuTTY is the windows implementation of SSH. With this software, you can connect to a remote host securely. Then you are on the command line.

To import CSV file form command line is not meant to be done. There are some tools like CLI interfaces, but the reommended way of importing CSV files is as a Jira Administrator via the UI.

I recommend to follow this article. And be careful on the command line - you can do a lot of harm to the system, depending on your rights.

So long

Thomas

0 votes

Thanks. Our client wants to move to JIRA from Rally. We have received the XML backup file instead CSV. How to import rally backup XML file into JIRA. What to consider to avoid any issues? Also we are trying to figure out once import take place, how to locate the xml file on JIRA server using Putty?

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2018

Dear @Arshia Awan,

I found this article about Ralley import. Probably it helps. But they recommend to do it with CSV instead of XML.

So long

Thomas

0 votes

Thanks guys

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2018

Joe,

Jira has a specific functionality to import from CSV:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/importing-data-from-csv-938847533.html

Let me know if this solves your issue

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

@Gaston Valente, that's exactly what I already posted, what was wrong?

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2018

@Thomas Deiler, i think both write the same answer at the same time but you submit yours first.

:D

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2018

;)

Suggest an answer