Inactive and Active user reports

jason.heaney September 9, 2022

Is there a way to run reports to pull this information? Trying to determine which active users that we could change to inactive. Going to compare the report to our HR report of current employees. 

Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2022

Hi @jason.heaney welcome to the Atlassian community.

May I request you to elaborate your query. Did you just say, you want to "change to inactive" users! or is it a typo?

Option 1:Well if the query is to figure out who are active and inactive users in your Jira applications, then I assume you have Jira admin credentials. If yes, login in as admin and go to "user management">> "users" section>> View the list of people active and inactive. This will give you a first hand information.

Option 2: User management>> Go to security tab>> Left panel monitoring. The screen will show your the list of active users across the Atlassian products your organization has granted access to.

Alternatively, their is an active Jira server ticket about "Listing users inactive over a period of time" and details available on JRASERVER-2841

And finally the Atlassian market place plugin for "Manage Inactive Users for Jira"

Well, I believe my response might answered your query.

Hello @G subramanyam

Thank you for your response.  I would like to export the active users to a csv so I could compare it to another csv that I have. Its much easier for comparison purposes to export all the active users into a csv.  I don't want to have to click on each page in Jira to look at active users and compare them to my csv file of current users, which would take longer.  The goal is to remove any user that is showing active in Jira but is not active with the company. From what I understand of Jira, "inactive" users do not take up a license, is that not true? Do we have to delete user accounts our of Jira?

I have another post in this forum for an issue where some active users are being switched to inactive by Jira. One person suggested that we may be over our user tier limit. Which I thought we have unlimited. But then again, I am new to Jira. 

Like G subramanyam likes this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2022

Let me add another Community leader @Brant Schroeder for sharing insights in this query.

Like jason.heaney likes this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2022

@jason.heaney and @G subramanyam Since you are on server you can query the DB.  I would suggest doing that to get the information you are after.  There is an old community post here https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-get-the-List-of-all-active-amp-inactive-users-with-last/qaq-p/1335214 

The table structure should be the same but if not you might have to tweak the query to get the information you are after.  I would suggest using an account that has read only access to query the DB.

Like G subramanyam likes this

@Brant Schroeder Thank you for this information. However, our server isn't managed by us. We use contegix. Do I have to get them involved in order to query the DB? Or could I do this from the Admin portal? Please excuse me, but I am very new to Jira. 

Thank you

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2022

@jason.heaney they would have to perform the queries for you, in order to run the queries you need DB access.   If you would like to do it in the admin portal you would need to use an app.

thank you. Is there a free app that does this?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2022

@jason.heaney no but all apps have a trial period so you can find one that works best for you.

Suggest an answer