Import JSON file to Jira from Trello

Steve Sargent May 8, 2024

Hi - I am a non-technical person trying to facilitate an import of a JSON file from Trello into Jira - I passed the JSON file to the tech people (having stripped out the emojis from the cards) but the import is failing - any reason why this might be?

1 answer

0 votes
Ben Finn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2024

Hi @Steve Sargent

Did you follow all the steps here: Import data from Trello | Atlassian Support

Can you try to determine if you are on cloud or server or data center?

Is it kicking back any error or complaint?

Hi, Ben - we don't have an interface/add-on that connects Trello to Jira, so I produced the export in a JSON format and passed that to the techies to import to Jira. I have asked (and am awaiting a response to) the question of error messages. I think we are running from the cloud, but didn't want to guess - will confirm.

Ben Finn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2024

Fair. Why go with JSON? CSV is much easier to handle. I think Trello offers that option as well, no?

It does - I actually provided an xls and a csv file, but they then asked for JSON - I presume they had their reasons.

Ben Finn
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2024

I would be curious to know the reason if they ever tell you. In my experience, May differ from others, CSV is easier to manage. 

I'm afraid I can't help you unless we can get more details on why it's failing. 

One thing you could do is spin up a new free instance of Jira and try the import yourself.

Thanks Ben - not sure I have the confidence to try that  - I will let you know when I get a reply though, if you'll bear with me.

Suggest an answer