Import CSV - Keep formatting in Description field

Erik Dekker July 19, 2017

I am trying to create a batch of issues by importing a csv file, this goes perfectly fine and all fields are mapped correctly. However in the description field I would like to keep the formatting (e.g. blank rules, bullets etc), unfortunately this is not the case when importing the issues and the description field ends up as text without any formatting. 

In the knowledge base it is stated that the formatting should be preserved by putting the content between quotation marks (") but somehow this isn't the case for me. 

When importing the file in software such as numbers, excel, Google spreadsheets etc. the formatting does show up as expected. Does anybody know if this at all is possible in Jira and can share some tips/tricks how to achieve this?

Btw: formatting such as bold text (*foo*) is displayed correct, it's mainly regarding the blank rules that are not taken into account. 

1 answer

2 votes
Luke Machowski April 23, 2018

Could you explain or show a screen shot of what you mean by “blank rules”?

What is interesting is that you say that formatting instructions are honoured, which implies to me that the whole field is wiki-text. This might mean that if you find out how spaces and new lines are stored internally (probably <br>) then you might achieve what you are asking about.

Try importing a code block and see if it works.

{code}’Hello World’{code}

Suggest an answer