It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

I want to produce a report to find out which developers had the most bugs assigned to them throughout a project

motherg Feb 21, 2013

Hi all,

I find this a rather nasty question to ask as it's basically using JIRA to produce a report in order to point fingers...but needs must and we have a renegade developer who needs to be reined in. We've been asked to provide some metrics!

Anyway, I want to produce a report which shows how many issues a developer has had assigned to them over the course of a project. That but was simple because I could use the "Assignee was [user]" query.

What I really need is to be able to query an entire project in one go so I can then produce a chart with the results but I can't work out how to do it. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deleted user Sep 25, 2013

A couple of cents from me mother-goose..

You can use the Workload Pie Chart on your dashboard to represent your deviant's portion of bugs against the rest of the team.

Create and save a filter. If you want to get a cross section of bugs acroos all projects then you can omit the Project parameter. You can also add in other users to compare against.

issueType in (bug,"Story bug") and assignee was in (user1, user2, etc)

Add the Workload Pie Chart gadget to your dashboard,

specify your saved filter,

set it to group by assignee and

select the time field to report on.

This will give you a pie chart of the time spent on bugs for each user represented in a pie chart. It is a good idea to use a comparisson to your other devs.

Hope this helps

motherg Sep 25, 2013

Ohhh that a nice way of looking at it - it'll get us a bit closer to what we need which is never a bad thing.

Thanks muchly

1 vote
Steve Korzinetzki Mar 25, 2013

Hi,

when I understand your question the right way, this is very simple. You have two alternatives.

First one:

project = [project code] AND issuetype in (Bug, "Story Bug") and (assignee was user1 or assignee was user2)

Second one:

project = [project code] AND issuetype in (Bug, "Story Bug") and assignee was in (user1, user2)

Hope that helps!

You see, just like you filtered to multiple issuetypes, you can filter to multiple users. But what you did is, that you queried for specified project, issue, user1 but then just for user2 without the specific context from before. You need to nest it the right way.

motherg Apr 11, 2013

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on holiday.

Hmmm - the query works but I can't graphically represent my findings, that's a shame.

There doesn't seem to be any way to order the issues by "assingee was" . Never mind, thanks for the help, just seems like I am asking JIRA to do something it can't do - I can export the data and manipulate in excel or just work with the totals from the individual queries.

0 votes
motherg Feb 21, 2013

More information that might help here.

If I used these queries:

project = "Project A" AND issuetype in (Bug, "Story Bug") AND assignee was "User 1"
 
project = "Project A" AND issuetype in (Bug, "Story Bug") AND assignee was "User 2"

I'd see issues returned for these specific users and those issues would only be from Project A. However, if I queried using the above string but modified to include two users...

project = [project code] AND issuetype in (Bug, "Story Bug") AND assignee was "User 1" OR assignee was "User 2"

...it would when return results for issues in Project A, B and C (which Users 1 and 2 are also on).

I don't get it....


0 votes
Steve Korzinetzki Mar 25, 2013

Yeah right, this is like I mentioned it in my answer, but I missed the "was" operator. The charts can only group every issue, not split one issue in several groups. So you finally end up to filter by last assignee or use other ways to generate your charts. If you are using Confluence, you could combine SQL Plugin with charting macros. But then you can maybe use every other tool.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis Mar 25, 2013

I think I get where the problem is using this query:

project = "Project A" and issuetype = "Bug" and assignee was in (user1,user2)

That query lists every issue that was assigned to those users but the problem is how to use that information in a chart because the "was assigned" clause can't be used in a chart I think.

0 votes
Prasanna Rathi Feb 08, 2019

Better to use a Developer field for every story / bug / task / sub-task and then use that to sort. Make a custom if your JIRA doesn't have it.

Keep in mind - All the above response and I what I mentioned give you the list of bugs fixed by a developer. But you wont see who introduced this bug. 

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Next-gen

Introducing subtasks for breaking down work in next-gen projects

Teams break work down in order to help simplify complex tasks. This is often done iteratively, with tasks being broken down into smaller tasks and so on until the work is accurately captured in well-...

12,537 views 61 59
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you