I want to disable one field in view mode of Jira 6.0.1

Najmul Khan April 7, 2014

I have one custom field as date picker. I written a code in such a manner that once the user fill the date the field goes disable it can not be modifiy. But in Jira 6.0.1 there is one feature called as "click to edit" in view mode, through this feature user can update the date many time.

Is there any solution to disable the specific field in a view mode in Jira 6.0.1.

Please share your valuble answer.

2 answers

0 votes
Najmul Khan May 12, 2014

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your action!
I am going to start RnD on Jira 6.2, If any useful for me then I will let you know.

Regards,

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2014

Hi Najmul,

The inline editing can be disabled for a specific custom field just by removing the related custom field from the EDIT Screen. Screen Scheme allows you to define create,edit,view screen.

Hope this helps.

Fabio

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2014

Exactly how I'd do it. (I'd also point out this works for all fields, so I hope you didn't write a new custom field just so you could hide it - Jira does that for the custom data picker already)

Najmul Khan April 7, 2014

Hi Fabio and Nic,

The inline editing feature is of Jira is available in the Jira 6.1 and higher version. I am using Jira 6.0.1. there is no such type of feature. and I can not remve the field from view and edit screen. Because, As per requirement I allow the user to edit the field only in the edit mode and to view the editable value in the view mode.

Hope you understand the Scenario.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2014

I'm not sure I do, sorry.

The usual trick is to put a field on issue create and view, make it mandatory and then not have it on any other screen. That disables inline edit (which you're calling "click to edit") because the field is not on the edit screen, and means it can't be edited later.

But I don't think that's exactly what you're looking for... I'm just not quite sure I can work out what it is. Could you explain it differently? Maybe explain what the user experiences on create/view/edit/transitions?

Najmul Khan April 8, 2014

Actually the requirement is,

The field should be disable at the time of ticket creation once the ticket gets created the field gets enable. Once the user put the value in the field in edit mode the field again gets disable and now the field will disable upto the life of the ticket.

as per the requirement, I achieve this functionality with the help of Behaviour feature of Jira. But the "click to edit" functionality of Jira is making the field editable on the view mode. This feature of Jira making my work worthless.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 8, 2014

Ok, I see now, you have not written a field, you're using behaviours, which is not quite working for you.

I would do this:

• Remove the field from the create and edit screens
  • Create a new screen with the field on it
  • In your workflow, look at where it is appropriate to be able to add this date in - i.e. what status you might want to set it from (Open or in progress for example ). For each status, add a transition going back to the same status, using your new screen, and with a "condition" that your custom field must be empty.
  • You can also add the field into a transition screen between status, but you should do that only once really, or the users will be able to edit it.

You don't need the behaviours plugin for this, but you may need a plugin to provide "field is empty" condition.

Najmul Khan April 9, 2014

Thanks for your answer Nic,

Actually we are planning to upgrade our Jira version from Jira 6.0.1 to 6.1.x. As per my knowledge in Jira higher version there is a feature to disable the "Click to edit" funtionality in view mode.

If any issue found then again I will get back to you for clarification.

Many thanks for your support!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 9, 2014
Yes, you do have the option to reduce functionality. (People tend to like inline edit). My answer lets you do it without downgrading.
Najmul Khan May 12, 2014

Hi Nic,

After upgrading the Jira version, I am not able to get any feature to disable the inline editing feature of Jira

can you please suggest me any workaround for the same.

Regards,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2014

I think it might be missing from 6.1, but in 6.2+ you can turn the whole lot off in Admin -> General settings. If I'm right about the option being missing from 6.1 then your only workaround is "upgrade to 6.2"

Suggest an answer